proftpd directory limitations

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by White, Dec 15, 2008.

1. White

White Member

Hello Falko long time no speak, i have finally managed to fix my ftp issues and can now ftp my server with filezilla using your how to

Virtual Hosting With Proftpd And MySQL (Incl. Quota) On Debian Etch

but as it says on the last page of the how to

homedir: The home directory of the virtual Proftpd user (e.g. /home/www.example.com). If it does not exist, it will be created when the new user logs in the first time via FTP. The virtual user will be jailed into this home directory, i.e., he cannot access other directories outside his home directory.

im the virtual user on my own server and my files i want to access are in /var/www/htdocs/mysite.com

how do i unjail myself so i can access the files in the above folder? i have tried changing the location in the mysql database but that did not seem to work.

2. White

White Member

thanks, i have used the proftpd to create the new folder in home and copied the contents of mysite.com to it and then created the link as marpada suggested so that the site works ok,

however when i ftp in there must be a permissions error as the folder is shown with the tag "this directory is empty" but the file is not ?

the only way to correct this was to change permission of the folder owner to root and group root

however this will only allow me to view the contents of the directory but will not allow me to up/download from it using filezilla

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -la /home/www.example.com
    ?

4. White

White Member

Code:
    server1:~# ls -la /home/www.mysite.co.uk
    total 1020
    drwxr-xr-x 36 root root  4096 2008-12-17 19:57 .
    drwxr-xr-x  8 root root  4096 2008-12-17 19:46 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  2172 2007-11-17 00:58 addblog.php
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   754 2007-11-17 02:00 addpoll.php

i had mixed permissions but now all are set to root root then i can upload and download at will, but if they are set to the ftp user and group i set in mysql as per the tutorial then i cannot ?????

regardless its working now which means i can ftp to my garage and back so im happy :eek:)