proftpd hangs?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ben, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

Hi,

took a look in my mailbox and was flooded of "service not running" regadirng the proftp.
    Acutally the daemon was running, but did not answer any requests. Serer load on the one virtual CPU was 1.0 constantly. The logs didn't show anything special except that the last connection was a backuptransfer from another server (but that finished gracefully).

The next thing was I did not get that f**** proftp restarted / killed. Neither a kill -9 PID nor a kill -15 PID or kill -hup PID did what they should. A restart from the ISP webinterface only caused the try of starting a new instance haning killing the old.
    The init script just hang when calling it with restart, calling it with stop id just said sth. about stop even if the daemon was running...

So how could I analyze what caused that and why?

2. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

It happened to me some weeks ago, no reason.. then it just start to work again with no reason.. yesterday i couldnt log in with IExplorer, i can do it today.. some days ago i couldnt receive any mail, the next day everything was ok...

call me if you go through the same...

3. Ben

at the moment not, even if it was the second time proftp hanging. but the first time it was the first in the "top" list end was displayed correctly in ps aux, owned by a web_... user that realy did connect. But in that case it did restart without any problems.

I guess siwtiching back to vsftpd again, cause I just don't need that (for me) unuseful features like anon ftp etc....

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your logs?

5. Ben

No that's the mess, I mean never found a real good way to see any sensefull debug output neither on proftp nor on vsftpd.
    Any suggestions which loggin options I could switch on to have infos in case of having the same error again?

6. Ben

well same error tonight, so I guess switching back to vsftpd...

is it easy from proftp to vsftpd as vice versa?

Edit:

Ok I stopped proftp, backuped the confs, removed proftpd, installed vsftpd, went to ispconfig, switched to vsftpd there. The I wen to the db an switched from standalone to ispconfig_tcpserver. Then disabled anonymous stuff in vsftpd.conf and vsftpd_IP.conf. Restarted vsftpd from the webinterface and everythign works fie. The only thing whats missing, the localhost vsftpd. That's why it is not dispalyed as running in the services list, even if it is (fro the external IP). Did I miss anything?
    Restarted tpcserver and ispconfig server already...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  7. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ? What's in
    Code:
    /etc/vsftpd.conf
    ?

8. Ben

netstat tells one line to ftp:

tcp 0 0 valet:ftp *:* LISTEN 7508/ispconfig_tcps

the conf:

The other one with the server ip was already and sucessfully created. the question is why the 127.0.0.1 one is noet started...

9. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -l /etc
    ?

10. Ben

d'you really want to see all? ;)

the vsftp stuff is
    I remember that there was a vsftpd_127.0.0.1.conf once, when I first ran vsftpd before switching to proftpd?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  11. falko

What's in /etc/vsftpd_xx.xx.xx.xx.conf?

12. minskog

minskog New Member

The same here, and if i try to restart the service, proftpd goes freeze:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/proftpd restart
    Restarting ProFTPD ftp daemon..
    .. - setting default address to 127.0.0.1

And stands there, it don't restart. And any kill or killall works.

I have three servers, and only happen in 64bits one. Its an opteron but running sarge 32 bits ....

13. falko

What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ? Do you also have vsftpd installed?

14. minskog

minskog New Member

Code:
    netstat -tap | grep ftp
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN     2123/proftpd: (acce 
    tcp        0      0 localhost:ftp           localhost:51455         SYN_RECV   -                   
    tcp        0      0 localhost:ftp           localhost:51446         SYN_RECV   -                   
    tcp        1      0 localhost:ftp           localhost:45063         CLOSE_WAIT -                   
    tcp        1      0 localhost:ftp           localhost:45072         CLOSE_WAIT -                   
    tcp        1      0 localhost:ftp           localhost:45384         CLOSE_WAIT -                   
    tcp        1      0 localhost:ftp           localhost:45395         CLOSE_WAIT -                   
    tcp        1      0 localhost:ftp           localhost:44895         CLOSE_WAIT -                   
    tcp        1      0 localhost:ftp           localhost:44902         CLOSE_WAIT -                   
    tcp        0      0 localhost:51455         localhost:ftp           ESTABLISHED2685/php            
    tcp        0      1 localhost:51446         localhost:ftp           FIN_WAIT1  -   

No i have only proftpd installed.

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep ftp
    ii  ftp            0.17-12        The FTP client.
    ii  ncftp          3.1.8-1        A user-friendly and well-featured FTP client
    ii  proftpd        1.2.10-15sarge Versatile, virtual-hosting FTP daemon
    ii  proftpd-common 1.2.10-15sarge Versatile, virtual-hosting FTP daemon

15. falko

Please try
    Code:
    kill -9 2123
    /etc/init.d/proftpd restart

16. minskog

minskog New Member

Dont work kill or kilall. I detect that proftpd freezes when the logs are rotated between 0:00 and 0:30 ...

17. Ben

Hmm in my case it was after receiving a backup from another server... well vsftpd is doing fine now even if that's not a real solution..

18. Ben

Hi Falko,

the file contains:
    What about the vsftpd_127.0.0.1.conf? Its not there but I guess it should be because the monitoring floods me (logically) with emails that ftp is not running, because its nto listening on 127.0.0.1

19. falko

Create the file and try again. I think it's needed, but I'm not quite sure because I rarely use vsftpd...

20. Ben

Well seems to work now...

thx ;)