proftpd - server login error with "The Perfect Server - Fedora 7"

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by GarethSaxby, Feb 20, 2008.

1. GarethSaxby

GarethSaxby New Member

First of all, fantastic guide, it's made things so much clearer and without it I would be completely lost. Jumping in at the deep end is a major undertaking, and without the help of this site, I'd be poking around for weeks. A huge thanks to falko and to all the contributors.

I've been following the guide to the letter, and as such this is most likely a mistake that I've done previously catching up to me and kicking me in the arse, a stupid mistake that I've made myself or something small but crucial that I'm forgetting... Anyway, I'm very much a novice when it comes to Linux in general (But more than willing to learn and search for answers), but after peering around for a few hours I'm yet to find a resolution.

Simply put, after following the guide for Fedora 7 (Outdated, I know) I am unable to login to FTP to my server. Whilst proftpd is currently running and asking for a username and password on connection from FileZilla, it refuses to accept both my login for my primary user and my root user with a 530 Login Incorrect error. I've made the changes listed in the guide verbatim with vi to /etc/pam.d/proftpd, which from the explanation I understand is how proftpd loads up user details for authentication.

It's not much to go on, but I'll be more than happy to provide any additional details. Even pointing me in the right direction would be more than fine, heh. On my own I'm really clutching at straws.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your responses.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Did you install ISPConfig, or did you create your FTP user manually?

3. GarethSaxby

GarethSaxby New Member

I've been creating an FTP user manually rather than using wget to download the ISPConfig stable tarball to install it on the server. So, basically that's what I'm doing wrong then? Or would it be better to svn the latest stable? I typically use package managers for installs, so its a bit beyond me as to uploading files without FTP.

Thanks for the quick reply, and thanks again for the guide falko.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's that user's shell (you can see it in /etc/passwd)? Is the shell listed in /etc/shells?

5. GarethSaxby

GarethSaxby New Member

You hit the nail on the head there falko, I changed the shell of my ftpuser over to /bin/false and it now logs in fine. Thanks a lot, you clearly know the right things to say =)