ProFTPD vs PureFTPD

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Crimsonsky7, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Crimsonsky7

Crimsonsky7 New Member

Hi all,

Up to now I have always used ProFTPD mostly because I'm used to it.

Now a friend of mine suggested that I should use PureFTPD but he could not explain why.

Now my question is.

What is the difference? (pros and cons)
    Is it worth switching?

Thanks in advanced,

Crimsonsky.

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

I would say dump both and use vsftpd, both have long histories of security vulnerabilities.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you're using system users, you could use vsftpd, proftpd, or pureftpd - I don't see many differences between the three (except maybe vulnerabilities, but AFAIK, there haven't been any in the past few months, but I might be wrong). If you want to install ISPConfig 2, then you must use proftpd.

If you want to use virtual users from a MySQL database, then use proftpd or pureftpd - vsftpd does not support this natively. If you want to install ISPConfig 3, you must use pureftpd (proftpd might be supported in a later version).

4. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

correct me if i am wrong, but unlinke ispc3, ispconfig2 also supports vsftp, what in my eyes is the better choice unless you need more than one anonymous ftp per IP. Better choice just because of the trend to be a more secure one, although I do not know when the last issue was known with proftp ;)