Proper Setup of ISPconfig3 to used a firewall router or not?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by thawee, Nov 21, 2014.

1. thawee

thawee New Member

Hey all,

I am new, and I have some general questions

Hopefully it is super obvious and simple to answer, but I am attempting to figure if I should put my servers behind a Nat'ing firewall or not?

I am planning on professionally hosting emails and websites.

I have setup 2 servers, the panel server has all services hosted on it except emails.

Currently I have a working network setup of the following that uses an External Ip address that hits my firewall router, and I forward the ports to where they need to go. IE. 80 to my ispconfig 3 panel / web server, and 25 - 143 to my mail server.

Is this the correct way to go about this because I can see several limitations to do it this way.

The major limitation is what happens when I want to expand beyond 1 web and 1 email server?

Should I be mapping direct external ip address to my servers with no nat firewall router between my server and the out side world.

I wold like to expand my setup beyond these first 2 servers. IE multiple web servers, and mail servers.

It isn't clear to me how to route the traffic beyond the original 2 servers. IE. If I have two web servers how could i possibly configure my router to route port 80 traffic to the correct web server based on where the domain / web site is located? Ditto for emails.

I am very confused, and would greatly appreciate any help in correcting my thinking.

I am two stones throw away from purchasing space in a data center, and I would like a clearer understanding how to proceed before I purchase my data center slot.

Thanks for your help, and it is greatly appreciate.

Hope everyone is doing well

Take Care

Thawee

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Normally you map IP addresses directly to servers without using NAT.

3. thawee

thawee New Member

Networking Basics

I haven't done that before,

It is straight forward?

Could you possibly direct me to some documents on how to do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My confusion comes in when I think about internal vs external ip addresses? and how to configure that in ubuntu 14.04

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014