Proper Way to Restart a Master-Master Replication of MariaDB/MySQL

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by jaypabs, Jul 21, 2022.

1. jaypabs

jaypabs Member

Hi,

Just wondering if there must be a proper procedure before we restart/shutdown MySQL while in a master-master replication.

If there is, what it is?

Thanks

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Which tutorial did you follow in creating the replication at the first place?

I could only think master-master means any of them can be shutdown or restart without any proper sequence, just do not restart / shutdown all of them at the same time, obviously.

Edited: If you actually mean that in the context of which one to update first, of course, the master ISPConfig server need to be updated first.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  3. jaypabs

jaypabs Member

Hi,

Like for example if I change something on the configuration (e.g. my.cnf), do I need to follow the instruction from this article:
    https://www.abhinavbit.com/2019/06/...wn-mysql-before-any-maintenance-activity.html

Or I can simply restart MySQL without waiting for Innodb_buffer_pool_pages_dirty and Innodb_buffer_pool_bytes_dirty to become zero?

4. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

MySQL master-master replication should work both ways when either of them is shut down or restarted so I am not sure what is your concern except if you faced an error or more in doing so.

And you did not answer the my question: Which tutorial did you follow in creating the replication at the first place?

If you are following this: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...abase-cluster-on-debian-8.4-with-ispconfig-3/ you should realise that at the end of page 2, for mysql master-master replication part of the tutorial, there were other links provided on How To Skip Certain Errors In MySQL Replication, restart mysql master-master replication and mysql-replication – Could not parse relay log event entry, which each could help you if you faced the related problem.

As for the tutorial you mentioned, you should ask the blogger instead of asking in here, as to me he means the server as standalone or as slave, not in a master-master replication situation. In my experience, I didn't do any of his suggestion even on a standalone server.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022