Proxmox + Ispconfig 3 vps combo?

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by zustudios, Nov 3, 2016.

1. zustudios

zustudios Member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

Proxmox doesn't support openvz any more. It uses KVM and LXC containers.
    Otherwise proxmox works great. I have my production server running proxmox at the node level with isp config installed there, and then run two/three vm's for other jobs.
    My test server though is running proxmox at the node level, and ispconfig is installed into a KVM vm.
    There is a proxmox/ispconfig module that I've downloaded from github but haven't looked at it yet.

3. zustudios

zustudios Member

Can I install both proxmox and ispconfig 3 openvz on debian 6 and use ispconfig for openvz and proxmox for kvm and lxc? If so can I someone tell me how to do it?

4. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

No. Proxmox 4.x runs on top of Debian 8. Unless you use a really old version that supports openvz. Then you would have to install ispconfig at the node level (like I have).. The issue then is of security and keeping both ispconfig and proxmox in synce with the vm number's to use.,

5. zustudios

zustudios Member

6. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

You could still install promox 3 on debian 8.

7. zustudios

zustudios Member

It has to be debian 7 because I need openvz and openvz doesn't work on debian 8 and debian 6 is no longer supported.

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Openvz does work on debian 8 if you use the older wheezy kernel and disable systemd on the host. I expect there will be a newer kernel for it some day, brought over from the new openvz 7.

FWIW, OpenVZ 7.0 supports both openvz (not lxc) containers, as well as KVM/QEMU virtual machines. It doesn't have a gui, but supports management via libvirt, which as I understand should allow various other management tools to work with it out of the box (haven't tried it myself).

9. ressel

ressel Member

Why not use 2 different machine for this?
    1 with proxmox and one for openvz with ispconfig?

I use only proxmox for my virtual machines, 2 promox servers in cluster, and then I create a login in both proxmox and ispconfig if they have a vps and services in ispconfig.

10. zustudios

zustudios Member

I'm trying a project on putting them on one host. I just want to see if it will work. Any guide on how to do it? Or can someone show me how to set it up? I really want an "Ispconfig 3.1 interface much easier for customers . They will use Ispconfig but I still want to use Proxmox 4 for my personal machines for other projects. Is there a guide on openvz on debian 8?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  11. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Install debian 8 as normal. Add apt source for both jessie and wheezy packages (https://download.openvz.org/debian/). Install all userspace tools from jessie, but openvz kernel from wheezy. Uninstall systemd (apt-get install sysvinit-core). Reboot.

12. zustudios

zustudios Member

Ok thanks I'll try. Do you think it will work if I install it on proxmox 4 iso or proxmox 3 will it work together?

13. sjau

14. vk3heg

vk3heg Member

I only have experiance with proxmox 4.2-4.3 so can't help with the openvz support. The proxmox 4.x ISO doesn't give you any control about how the system is setup. It's best to do a standard debian install first and then add in proxmox.

15. zustudios

zustudios Member

This is what I have so far:
    I'm doing this tutorial with these commands:
    1: apt-get install sysvinit-core -y
    2: apt-get remove linux-image-amd64 linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 linux-base -y
    3: update-grub
    https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy

I'm stuck at step 1. After I rebooted I see debian 8 advanced settings in the grub.
    I go there and I see proxmox on grub.
    I go there and I only get a black screen. Did I do something wrong?

16. sjau

After Step 1 you don't have proxmox yet..... so you're not telling the whole thing.

17. NdK

NdK Member

Is it wise to have ISPC at the same level of Proxmox? You're exposing something thought for an internal network (The Proxmox management interface) to the whole Internet...
    I usually have one/two VMs inside Proxmox that host the websites. Another VM (w/ autostart) can be the VPN server to let *some* users access the Proxmox interface. Or you could create a vhost in ISPC that acts as a reverse proxy, but that will be quite limiting (I don't think you could make the remote console work).
    ... Or maybe I'm just too paranoid...

18. sjau

you can setup ISPC in a vm - that's what I do.

19. NdK

NdK Member

That's what I said :)
    For production I have 2 VMs in Proxmox. In one I have the master ISPC with the sites I control (the critical ones) and nobody can access the ISPC panel (firewalled) from the outside. On the second VM I have the slave ISPC with users' sites, that they access only via ftps (and http/https, obv). Neither VM can access the Proxmox management interface, that's bound to a private network only accessible by VPN (that is managed by a separate server).
    With this setup I can move the VMs from one node to any other w/o downtime (all Proxmox nodes use a shared storage pool on a Dell MD3200) -- but even if you don't have a single shared storage it's possible to move the VMs, it's just slower (first move VM storage to a NAS accessible by both nodes [1], move the VM to the other host, then move the storage from the NAS to the node's local storage).
    I really don't understand who uses paravirtualization: the performance difference can hardly be measured (~1-2% faster than full virtualization) and it's way more limiting.

[1] if you have a NAS that allows exporting some space as iSCSI LUN, it's more performing to use that LUN as shared storage using LVM volumes as disks (no need for a cluster fs, unless you need to share a single volume between two active machines).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  20. zustudios

zustudios Member

I would like to use isp 3 for vps service ( I have a custom wordpress plugin) and proxmox for windows and personal isp ³