Psotfix headache

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by willebanks, Jun 11, 2006.

1. willebanks

willebanks New Member

Postfix headache

I am trying desperatly to setup a Postfix server that I can send and receive email to and from on Internet and my network. I keep getting "relay access denied error and mail for "example.com" loops back on itself message". I have been over and over the main.cf settings and I'm at a loss!

I did use the "Perfect Fedora Core 4 Setup" if that is any help! I can connect locally via Telnel "Local Host" yet if I use "www.example.com" I get the "relay error denied" or "local loop back error" from using the local host loggin!

Any help would really be of great assitance and I will glady post any information require to get this crazy thing up and running!

Will Banks

P.s. I have some 3 books on Postfix and oodles of books on Linux and the amount of information is staggering so much so I really don't know where to begin to make Postfix and Linux work!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Postfix is configured for SMTP-AUTH. Usea normal email client like thunderbird or firefox and chec "smtp server needs authentication" in the email account settings of your email server.

Please add "example.com" to the mydestination variable in your main.cf and restart postfix. Exampla:

mydestination = localhost, example.com

3. willebanks

willebanks New Member

Postfix Headache

Wow thanks Till this seems to have cleared up most of the problems! I didn't know I would have to use a client program...yet now that you have mentioned it I should have seen it from the start! One further question if you would be so kind...
    I can now send email through the server to any email address and it seems as if I can send mail to users on the server yet I can't find the mail anywhere on the server...as usual I have repeatedly check the main.cf file and the mail logs. There is a section that I guess points to the directory where the mail should be going for each user and I have left it at the default setting...which I believe was Maildir/ or something like that...:eek:

I also made changes to the alias file and preformed the "newalias" command to make the updates...could the problem lie somewhere else like in the "virtuser" file, I haven't made any changes to any of the "virt" files...

Again thanks for all your time...I really love using Linux yet the learning curve is a pain sometimes! But I know in time I can do this..I did learn DOS and still remember most of it :)

Will Banks

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please post the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    What's the real domain name you're sending to?