PTR record on ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by PrometheusAla, Nov 29, 2021.

1. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

Where to find documentation to make correct PTR record to DNS? Please help!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

My signature has link to DNS tutorial. It explains PTR record. It is the Reverse Name Service -chapter.

PrometheusAla likes this.
  3. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

How to make it in ISPConfig?

4. Taleman

The tutorial explains how to make PTR record. You answered in 60 seconds, which makes me suspect you did not read the tutorial.

5. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

Thanks. What are this zones?

Attached Files:

6. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

73 - is the last digits of your IP?

7. Taleman

Yes.

8. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

How long changes will apply after DNS record appears?

9. Taleman

Is this PTR set up on your internal private LAN? Then it applies immediately.
    Otherwise DNS propagation takes between 10 minutes to 48 hours. Same amount of time as for the A and MX etc. records.

10. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

I did it at my server with ISPConfig 3 which is co-located at distant hoster. But I tryed to make command via SSH and have error
    [root@hcp ~]# host 89.218.250.197
    Host 197.250.218.89.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Attached Files:

11. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

Still don't work (

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess the NS records shall be FQDN records, if that's the case, then you missed adding a dot at the end. And the DNS zone in the other screenshot, does it end with a dot?

13. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

In Zone settings it has a dot
    In DNS records none. Should I add dot at the end in DNS records?

14. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It depends on what the record shall be. Example:

If you want to point it to a domain "ns1.mydomain.tld" and the name of the zone where this record is in is "mydomain.tld", then you can use these two forms:

The short form would be:

ns1

and the long-form would be:

ns1.mydomain.tld.

So anywhere when using the long form for a domain name (fully qualified domain name or FQDN), then a dot must be added at the end. If no dot is there, then the DNS server will append the zone name to it. So when using ns1.mydomain.tld (without dot), the DNS server will turn it into "ns1.mydomain.tld.mydomain.tld).

15. Taleman

The IP-address you showed in #10 answers to ping, so it looks like it is public routable IP-address at your hosters net. Did you read my DNS tutorial chapter "Reverse Name Service", where tutorial talks about making reverse name service work from the public Interet? I suspect your work so far has been futile. You need to create the PTR record on your hosting providers name servers, not on your own ISPConfig system if your name server is not authoritative for the reverse zone.

16. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

How can I check this issue with my provider? Or what he have to do to give me such access for PTR?

17. PrometheusAla

PrometheusAla New Member

Is my PTR record steps done correctly? Thanks for help. Or I can do something else to solve this problem?

18. Taleman

Contact them, ask how you can set up PTR record.
    Meanwhile, to make sure you understand the context, read for example
    I found those using Internet Search Engines. More can be found with same method. There are books, I learned this stuff from Albitz and Liu book "DNS and BIND".
    Make sure you actually do need the PTR record, so you are not doing much work with no benefit.