PTR record "solved"

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ganewbie, Sep 28, 2015.

1. ganewbie

ganewbie Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,
    I have a question,
    Assume you have Ispconfig control panel and you are hosting 8 deferent domains for different clients or resellers.
    You have only two public IP address.
    1- Can you create multiple PTR record for each domain?
    2- I read somewhere before from Till that it is best to get the ISP to assign the PTR record, is my memory good or I am confused?
    Thanks,

2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

1. no - the PTR points to an IP
    2. set the PTR at your hoster

3. ganewbie

Thanks for the quick response.
    1- I think I have asked the question wrong, Agreed but then that means, you will create multiple records to one IP address. Is it correct? or possible?
    2- Well, I am the hoster, so it will be the ISP or do we have a method to issue such record?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You create one PTR record for the hostname of your server.

"Hoster" means the company where you got the IP from. When your server is e.g. in a data center or you received the IP from a telco company, then the data center or telco company is your hoster. Only they can tell you if the PTR is set in their dns servers or if they have delegated the dns services for this IP address to you. A PTR record is a dns record of an IP, not a dns record of an domain.

5. ganewbie

Thanks again,
    Great explanation, but sorry, I will still bother you with more questions:
    1- I thought the PTR record is mainly for mail.site.com or in other words for mail services as missing it may cause some e-mail to not reach the final destination but it may serve other purposes that I am not aware of.
    2- Now Assume my talk in point 1 is correct and I have obtained PTR record for mail.site.com
    How about ?
    mail.clinet1.com
    mail.clinet2.com
    Thanks in advance,

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Li
    I'll cite my answer from above as it answers both questions:

So what is your hostname, the hostname is the name that you get when you run:

hostname -f

on your server. This hostname has to be the same that you configured in postfix. So if the command:

hostname -f

return "mail.site.com" and you set the same name in the PTR and postfix, then the setup is correct.

And you add just this one hostname as PTR, nothing more. If you would have more then one PTR, then the names would be chosen randomly which is really bad as they would not match the server hostname and therefor the mail might get rejected as spam.

7. ganewbie

Thanks a million,
    Clearly understood.