Pure-ftpd : Force Passive IP only for WAN

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by doubian, Oct 21, 2008.

1. doubian

doubian New Member

Hello there,

In order to have my pure-ftpd work in passive mode from external address (WAN) i have to set my external IP using the ForcePassiveIP parameter.

However, once i do that, clients from inside (LAN) can no longer access my FTP because they get an external IP address when connecting.

Is there a way to have ForcePassiveIP set only for WAN connections ?

2. matiasCU

matiasCU Member

Any Solution?

Hi All:

someone has been able to solve this behavior?

Tanks

3. flashingcurser

flashingcurser New Member

I'm not 100% certain but I think it only offers the IP for passive clients only. You should be able to force your local clients to use a active connections.

Does your network use any sort of SMB (windows) file sharing? If so, why not use samba for the local network and anonymous ftp for the unwashed masses? It takes a little bit of head scratching as far as permissions go, if I can set it up anyone can.

4. gring

gring Member

a *few* years after, here is a suggestion :

Instead of putting an IP address, put a valid dns hostname (like ftp.domain.com) which points to your external IP.

Then, on the server, set in the hosts file ftp.domain.com to point to 127.0.0.1

This way, it should work for both external and internal ftp clients.

5. gring

gring Member

Never mind, this doesn't work, pureftpd resolves the address before sending it. It sends 127.0.0.1

6. Fiftyz

Fiftyz New Member

You can also use 2 daemons of pure-ftp with different configs, one for LAN and one for WAN. The one from WAN force response IP.