PureFTPd and Directory Permissions

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Tastiger, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Tastiger

Tastiger Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have setup Ubuntu 10.10 as per the instructions @http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.10-maverick-meerkat-ispconfig-3-p4

However after setting up websites and uploading a Joomla installation I find that all directories in the Joomla installation have been set to 775.

This is something I have not come across before on a server - normally file permissions are OK after ftp upload.

I'm certain that this is a simple fix, but I'm not certain how to address the issue.

Suggestions welcome...:confused:

After some thought - I may be blaming the wrong installation

After upload something is preventing the Joomla installation script from setting the correct permissions on folders - is it the actual ownership of the www folder?
    If so what is the solution other than hand editing all folders?

see image below :-
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Try to set the umask in your PureFTPd configuration to 022. Permissions of uploaded files should then be 755.

If you upload files through FTP, they will be owned by your FTP user. However, if you run Apache with mod_php, the files need to be owned by the Apache user or have 777 permissions to be writable by Apache. You can change permissions/ownerships manually on the shell.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please make sure that you selected the correct PHP mode in ispconfig. For CMS systems like joomla eplease use php-fcgi and activate the "Suexec" checkbox to ensure that joomla can create the directories correctly.

4. Tastiger

Tastiger Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ah that's the baby I was looking for :)

Thanks for the quick response and sorry if I ask more questions along the way as this is my first venture into the world of Linux - I have previously only worked with Windows, A2T and Xammp.