Pureftpd error 553 Can't open that file: Permission denied

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Skprorok, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

Hello!

I have problem with pureftpd. I have uploaded about 400GB of files through ncftp client (i am migrating one server to another) and when I try to update file (for example index.php) or delete this file i get 553 error.

Server is running Ubuntu server 10.10.

Thanks

2. Ghostdare

Ghostdare Member

It's a permission problem. When uploading files, what user did you use? When you try to delete files what user do you use? Remember that every site must belong to a specific client (Ex: client1, web1.... and so on)

LE: Post the command "ln -s" from one site client.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

I used same user for upload and for delete. When I upload file with filezilla I can update it and delete too. But when I use ncftp I get 553 error.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If one ftp client can edit / delete a file and another client cant do it, then it is not a problem of the ftp server. Compare the settings that you used in both clients.

5. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

Same settings, but I don' have a clue why I can't delete files using filezilla (or something else) which were uploaded with ncftp.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post the output of the command:

ls -la

from within the directory where you uploaded the file and specify which of the files was uploaded and cant be deleted now.

7. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

Thank you very much till and Ghostdare. I had bad ownership to some files. I don't know why it happened but now it is okay when I changed it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. daniel123

daniel123 New Member

I had "553 Can't open that file: No such file or directory." by uploading a dir with a space at the end:
    Code:
    "./dir-i-want-upload "
    after removing the space at the end, the upload was fine.

PS: I post this here, because I found no solution but this thread.