PureFTPd issue on ISPConfig 3.1 - Debian 10

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by albegior, Oct 1, 2019.

1. albegior

albegior New Member

I made a new server with this how-to:
    The Perfect Server - Debian 10 (Buster) with Apache, BIND, Dovecot, PureFTPD and ISPConfig 3.1

All works fine but I noticed that if I turn on the ISPConfig firewall with these rules I can't login to FTP anymore.
    Open TCP ports: 20,21,22,25,53,80,110,143,443,465,587,993,995,3306,8080,8081,10000
    Open UDP ports: 53,3306

If firewall it's OFF all works fine.

Best regards
    Alberto

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I assume you're using passive mode ftp, if so, what port range are you using for it?
    cat /etc/pure-ftpd/conf/PassivePortRange
    add that port range to the firewall.

3. albegior

albegior New Member

No such file or directory
    I'm using ISPConfig from many years without adding any port to firewall rules...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

5. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

it might be set in /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf

active mode only uses port 20 and port 21. so that should work with those rules, whether the firewall is on or not.
    passive mode needs the publicly accessible ip set (ForcePassiveIP) and the port range (PassivePortRange).
    it's the only thing that makes sense to not be working with the firewall on given those ports you list.

the only other thing I've seen would depend on what ftp client you're using. FileZilla has a bug with TLS 1.3 but I don't see the firewall being on or off making any difference with that.

6. albegior

albegior New Member

It works!
    Thank you!

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

And the port 20 connections are all outbound, so you don't need to open that up in your firewall.