PureFTPd / MySQL / CentOS 5.3

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by sfunk1x, Sep 24, 2009.

1. sfunk1x

sfunk1x New Member

Hey all, back again! :)

This time, I've followed this how-to (yes, I know it's for centos 5.0 and I'm running 5.3):

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_hosting_with_pureftpd_and_mysql_centos5.0

The package installed OK and I was able to add the user & db no problem - edited the pure-ftpd.conf file without issue and edited the pureftpd-mysql.conf file without issue. Passwords match, I can log into the ftpd db without issue with the user that I created.

The problem is that when I connect to the FTP server it immediately disconnects after the user enters a password:

1. Connect to ftp via ftp client
    2. Prompted for username - entered
    3. Prompted for password - entered
    4. Disconnected with the following messages:

Code:
    421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
    Login failed.
    No control connection for command: No such file or directory
    This was rcv'd by just using ftp localhost at console (locally, obviously).. from remote, you see this:

Code:
    331 User sean OK. Password required
    Password:
    Connection closed by remote host.
    In /var/log/messages (pureftpd.log is completely empty, which doesn't help):

Code:
    Sep 24 14:40:47 host pure-ftpd: ([email protected]) [INFO] New connection from 127.0.0.1
    Sep 24 14:41:53 host pure-ftpd: ([email protected]) [INFO] New connection from xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    There are no errors saying mysql couldn't authenticate or if there was a problem creating the folder or not.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I may have missed?

Thanks!

2. sfunk1x

sfunk1x New Member

Solved.

I had set my home directory in the ftpuser table to be /home/sean, when that folder was my system user folder. Apparently there was a permissions problem (although that was not in the logs at all) and immediately killed the connection.