PureFTPd not working with TLS after upgrading MariaDb 5.x to 10.1

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by peterpetr, Apr 6, 2017.

1. peterpetr

peterpetr Member

Hello, I would grateful for help with PureFTPd using TLS after upgrading MariaDB to version 10.x on ISPconfig 3.1. I describe my upgrade process, then have 3 questions at the bottom of this post.
    • I created a new VPS server, Ubuntu 16 LTS, then used your Perfect Server guide: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-ubuntu-16-04-nginx-bind-dovecot-and-ispconfig-3/ Then I upgraded MariaDB to version 10.1. The older version 5.x of MariaDB installed per the Perfect Server guide is not optimal for WordPress hosting or restoring WordPress backups from other servers. I was getting compatibility issues due to "downgrading" the restored data for SQL. Suggest your Perfect Server guide be upgreaded to use MariaDB 10.x. After upgrading to MariaDB 10.x ISPconfig seems to be working fine to host WordPress sites. I have not tested mail services yet.
    • Problem is, Pure-FTPD is not working. It's not allowing FileZilla access where it WAS WORKING before the MariaDb upgrade to 10.1.
    • After some review of the upgrade to MariaDb 10.x and Google time, I discovered the upgrade instructions here: http://www.2daygeek.com/upgrade-mar...-1-on-ubuntu-centos-rhel-debian-fedora-mint/#
      have me remove MariaDb version that was installed per Perfect Server reference in #1. above. The following file was deleted:
    /etc/pur-ftpd/db/mysql.conf file​
    • Was able to get a copy of this /mysql.conf file from a backup I made prior to upgrading to MariaDB 10.x. I put the file back in the folder above but Pure-FTPD still didn't allow FileZilla clients to connect.
    • Next I re-installed PureFTPd and Quota per #10. in the Perfect Server guide in #1 above. Used this command:
    apt-get -y install pure-ftpd-common pure-ftpd-mysql quota quotatool
    • When prompted to Overwrite or Keep the /mysql.conf file, I answered to KEEP the file (that I copied back from my backup).
    • Now, I'm able to connect with FileZilla and WinSCP but these FTP clients fail when trying to get the "directory contents". They prompt to "accept" the Certificate as expected. Just can't use FTP as the directory contents is not visible. FileZilla tries to fall-back to Passive Mode, so I added those ports to the firewall (and even made the firewall not-active), but no luck using encrypted TLS connections.
    • If I set FileZilla or WinSCP to use "no encryption", using only clear text for login credentials, I can connect and use these FTP clients as expected. But, I need to use a secure TLS or encrypted connections.
    Question#1. How can I fix PureFTPd so it again works with TLS for encrypted FTP sessions?
    Question#2. Was there a better way to do the upgrade from MariaDB 5.x to MariaDB 10.x? (rather than completely removing MariaDB 5.x)?
    Question#3. Do you suggest there are other services or config files I should check, that might have been removed or improperly modified when upgrading to MariaDB 10.x? Thank you.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I recmmend to redo all steps from the pure-ftpd configuration step of the perfect server guide and then run an ISPConfig update with "reconfigure services = yes" which should fix missing and broken config files.

I haven't updated MriaDB 5 to 10, so I can't give you any exact guidelines. Btw. Ubuntu 16.04 as described in the perfect server guide comes with MariaDB 10.0.29 and not MariaDB 5, I just tested that here on the prototype guide of that tutorial. I have no Idea where you got such an old MariaDB version from, or maybe you mixed up versions, the version details show it as "mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.0.29-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2", the version 5 here is readline 5.2 not MariaDB 5.2.