Pureftpd - Password

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Marcio Urakawa, Aug 3, 2020.

1. I would like to know how to change the FTP user password manually.
    I am migrating a website to ISPCONFIG where the password I do not I copied and pasted it into the database but it didn't work.have access to and is in MD5 encryption on the other server.
    I created a password at the bank and set it to MD5 but still does not log in to FTP.
    Does anyone have any idea what I have to do?

The passwords of the other server are in the /etc/shadow

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not use md5 encrypted passwords. The password must be encrypted using Linux crypt, that#s the method the Linux system is hashing passwords and stores them in /etc/passwd file.

/etc/shadow does not contain md5 encrypted passwords, at least I've never been any system that sues md5 there as md5 is completely insecure. Passwords in /etc/shadow are encrypted with crypt.

Marcio Urakawa likes this.
  3. Okay, I still don't know if I'll be able to copy the password from the other server. But in this case, I put the password "123" for a user to test and it didn't work, I changed it in the ftp_users table in ispconfig and Setei as md5. I don't know if that would be the right way.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If the password is encrypted in the right format, then you can copy it. And as I mentioned above, md5 is not a valid encryption hasing, so a md5 encrypted password can not work. The password must be encrypted with crypt, e.g. crypt-sha256 or even the older crypt-md5 will work.

Marcio Urakawa likes this.