Putty server unexpectedly closed network connection

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Polk, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Polk

Polk New Member

I'm getting this error in Putty:
    Server unexpectedly closed network connection

Anyone knows how to fix it? All search results show to turn off UseDNS no but I'm not even using dns. I connect to IP directly. Anyway, tried that and it didn't work.

I'm able to connect from other locations. just one computer got blocked. I can't find anything in logs, tried to reinstall ssh, ssh-openserver, fail2ban.

I'm on Debian Lenny installed using Perfect Server manual.

Attached Files:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

How many failed login attempts did you make from this computer? I guess fail2ban is blocking that computer.

3. Polk

Polk New Member

that's what I thought too. I did about 5 failed connections. I tried to uninstall fail2ban and also there was nothing in the iptables -L

Any ideas?

4. falko

5. Polk

Polk New Member

Thank you. I found that link online too. And followed the steps. I did not have blocked IP in my list.
    I also did apt-get remove fail2ban.

6. falko

And connecting from another IP works?
    Is the IP listed in /etc/hosts.deny?

7. Polk

Polk New Member

Yes, I was able to connect from other IPs and yes, my blocked IP was listed there. Thank you so much! I removed and it's now working again!

Thank you!

8. sadnem

sadnem New Member

I post this just to inform people, my host was adding me automatically to /etc/hosts.deny so i had to erase my IP from /etc/hosts.deny and add it to /etc/hosts.allow I hope this can solve other people problems too ;)

9. darkbeat

darkbeat New Member

hi im also having this problem when using smoothping putty.. can someon teach me how to fix it in much simplier instructions? hehe .. i already found tutorials on the web but sadly i find it really hard to understand T_T.. im using windows xp .. hope someone can help me

10. falko

Is your client IP listed in /etc/hosts.deny?

Have you tried to reboot the system?