Q: ISPConfig Migration Tool - Skip Content of Mail Dirs

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by macguru, Jan 14, 2018.

1. macguru

macguru Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi !
    Question about ISPConfig Migration Tool.
    Is it possible to migrate mail accounts, but skip content of mail dirs ? Tool does have an option to migrate only certain modules, but if I instruct not to migrate mail, mail accounts will be missing on new installation. Or I'm wrong here?
    Thanks !

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Delete the e-mails, either on the SOURCE before the migration or on the TARGET after the migration. Or, maybe tell Migration Tool to skip migrating mail and just create new mail accounts on the TARGET yourself.

3. macguru

Is it safe to wipe out "Maildir", "sieve" and everything else inside "vmail -> domain -> account" ?

I have too many email accounts to re-enter manually, have to delete all unnecessary stuff on target server.

4. Taleman

Do not wipe the directories, remove the e-mail files in those cur/ -directories. And do removing on the TARGET. Something like /var/vmail/domain/mailuser/cur/* files can be removed.
    What is the business case for migrating mail accounts but removing the current e-mails?

5. macguru

Mails are kept on the server for about 2 weeks.
    After change of the server, for whatever reason Apple Mail thinks of them as new emails and re-downloads hundreds of messages..

6. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You could run the tool with skipping all sync jobs by using the --no-syncjobs switch.
    This will of course skip copying web and db data, too. You can then do a second run using --syncjobs and --exclude=mail which should run all syncing of data while skipping mails.

7. macguru

I removed "Maildir" from test account, it was re-created just when I dropped an e-mail here.
    This command did the cleanup of all mail dirs on destination ISPConfig install.
    find /var/vmail/*/ -type d -name "Maildir" -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf

8. Taleman

Did the e-mail cause creation of folders like Junk et al to the Maildir? I have problems where folder Junk is created when a new e-mail account is created, but if Junk folder goes missing for some reason I have to re-create it manually.

9. macguru

Checked several accounts, Junk folder is not created.
    However, I have messages with header **SPAM**, so junk filter seem to be working.

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Dovecot creates just the inbox in that case and not the complete maildir structure (which is normally created by ISPConfig), you can see it just as the last resort function of dovecot itself which tries to somehow deliver it even when the maildir structure is damaged or not existant.