qmail to postfix is there a way to convert

Discussion in 'General' started by grandpagenocide, Oct 4, 2007.

1. grandpagenocide

grandpagenocide New Member

Ok I have an email server that is on its last legs and to make it worse its running qmail. What I would like to do is change it over to postfix (so its compatible with ISPConfig). Is there a way to import clients current email over to postfix?

2. mlz

mlz Member

Is qmail setup for Maildir? If so, create user under postfix and copy the contents of the maildir to the users maildir folder... There might be a script out there that does it, but it's pretty straightforward.

3. catdude

catdude New Member

If the clients are already defined on the ISPConfig machine, you could always put together a simple script that uses scp or rsync to copy Maildir contents from the qmail machine to the postfix machine. Just be sure to set appropriate ownership of the files in the Maildirs on the postfix machine after doing the copying.

4. grandpagenocide

thanks guys ill start looking at it tommorow, not sure if its set up for maildir, but for a moment i was thinking this was going to be alot more difficult :D just as a duh question, its in /var/mail right? And I am assuming I have to rename each file to "web1_admin" for example?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

/var/mail would be mbox, not Maildir. If it's Maildir, there's a Maildir in each user's homedir.

6. grandpagenocide

thanks falko, so i now know they dont use maildir. can the files in var/mail be transfered the same way as the ones in mail dir?

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff