Question About High Available Apache Cluster

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by 4nDr3s, Nov 14, 2007.

1. 4nDr3s

4nDr3s New Member

Hello. I have some questions about this howto:High Availability Apache Cluster

1. What i want to know is which packet forwading technique is the howto using? Is it direct routing??

2. what does this modules mean:
    ip_vs_dh
    ip_vs_ftp
    ip_vs

3. And is it posible to build the same cluster scheme without using the UltraMonkey package and just using LVS + Heartbeat + ldirectord??

thanks for help.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You don't need UltraMonkey. You can do the same with just heartbeat/keepalived and haproxy/pound. Take a look at this category: http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/high-availability

3. 4nDr3s

4nDr3s New Member

Hi, thanks for your answer.
    I've checked the howto's using Pound and HAProxy already and they really usefull.
    But actually, what i ment was that if it is possible to build the same type of cluster (2 LoadBalancer in Active/Pasive and RealServers in Active/Active), let's say in Gutsy Gibon, using just heartbeat + ldirectord and LVS/ipvsadm and not ultramonkey.
    So that way i wont just only be able to have apache clusters and instead build clusters for other services using the same scheme, without ultramonkey.

thanks for help.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, that should work because UltraMonkey is just a meta package that installs heartbeat, ldirectord and LVS. :)