Question about implementing MyDNS

Discussion in 'General' started by Rocky, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Rocky

Rocky Member

Hi Falko,

I came across your MyDNS/MySQL based DNS server tutorial and was thinking about implementing this at my job.

I have 2 Public IP’s that I could use, both of which are provided by Verizon.

My DNS is currently hosted at an external vendor but its such a pain to get them to make changes for me. I guess they would be termed the authoritative for my domain.

What steps would I need to take to change this around so that I become the authoritative for my own domain?

Would I need to first create A records for ns1.mcrirents.tld and ns2.mcrirents.tld? If so, would I have to have Verizon create these for me or my autoritative?

I have no idea of how DNS works but would love to manage my own.:)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you are using ISPConfig on both servers, you dont need mydns as ISPConfig provides everything in its DNS manager, but with BIND as DNS Daemon.

If you dont run ISPConfig on the servers yet, MyDNS is a good software.

To get a general understanding of DNS, i recommend to read this howto:

http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto

3. Rocky

Rocky Member

Hey Till,

Thanks for the reply. I have ISPConfig running at home, however, the DNS setup is for work which is a different setup. I just need to setup 2 DNS servers in order to allow me to manage my own DNS.

I know that I can do this with MyDNS/MySQL, but I don't know where to start. I will read the guide and try to get a better grip on it.

Thanks,

Rocky

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer