Question about mysql on perfect Debian Setup

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by goingininsane, May 3, 2008.

1. goingininsane

goingininsane New Member

Hi, been following the Perfect Debian Setup found here:

http://howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch

I've made it up to page 4 with mysql. I commented out the bind.address like it says. and I'm trying to set my passwords. Except no matter what i type i keep getting the return "error: 'access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'".

I've tried every combination of "mysqladmin -u root 'password' 'passwordiwant'" that i can think, i've typed in every password i've created but i still get this error, and don't want to move on before i get this to work. any help is greatly appreciated.

2. White

White Member

you could try

Code:
    apt-get remove --purge mysql-server mysql-client libmysqlclient15-dev
    which will completely remove all instances of mysql

then

Code:
    apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client libmysqlclient15-dev
    and follow the steps again.

i take it you did replace 'yourrootsqlpassword' below with your own password

Code:
    mysqladmin -u root password yourrootsqlpassword
    mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword

3. sergio.morales

sergio.morales New Member

I'm having a very similar issue . . .

My issue is very similar, but I can't get to the step below his. My password is set and all is OK there, but when I try running the:
    mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword

it fails. I think it's because my hostname has a dash in it, but I don't know! This is the error I get:
    mysqladmin -h email-bestXXXX.com -u root password mypassword
    mysqladmin: connect to server at 'email-bestXXXX.com' failed
    error: 'Host 'email-bestXXXX.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'

The "XXXX" is simply to hide my hostname . . .

Please HELP!!!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can try to correct the hostname in the MySQL database as shown in chapter 8 on http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_server_opensuse10.3_p4 , beginning with "As you've seen in the netstat output, MySQL is not only listening on localhost, but on all interfaces, which means it can be accessed from the outside. Therefore we need to set a password for the user [email protected] as well. But there's one little problem: most likely the Host column in the mysql.user table doesn't contain server1.example.com, but server1. We will change that now, and afterwards we will set a MySQL password for the user [email protected]."