Question about Perfect Servers

Discussion in 'General' started by tegralens, Dec 13, 2008.

1. tegralens

tegralens New Member

Which of the perfect servers are the easiest to keep files up to date ? Like if there is a new version of patch out for any of the files that I can run a update to keep everything updated. I am a windows user that is very interested in the linux World but my linux is very limited that is why I want to do a perfect server that is easy to keep updated. Thanks

This is not the right spot for the post please move it to the correct area. I was unable to move it

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I recommend to use debian.

3. tegralens

tegralens New Member

Why What make it easier to use then the other ones?

4. _X_

_X_ New Member

From my personal experience I would recommend Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

- Easy apt-get update, apt-get upgrade updates from console
    - Regular updates
    - large comunity
    - It is still debian based linux (debian is one of most stable linux distos)

but then again this can be applied to most "old" linux distibutions.

and let the flaming begin :)

5. tegralens

tegralens New Member

Yes I want to hear what everyone has to say. Remember I want something that is easy to use. I know I still have to learn but I dont want to go crazy. After I do one of the Perfect server setup without the ispcong. I want to be able to update easy. I will only use it to host a my store online. So it's important to make sure that all patches are up to date. And that It's easy to update. I want to make sure that I can be PCI Compliant. I am thinking of hosting my store. Please let me know what everyone thinks.

6. _X_

_X_ New Member

I'm Windows/Windows Server user and if I could install Ubuntu server anyone can :)

All you have to do initially is to install Ubuntu with OpenSSH option during install. After that you can do all other stuff from console by using something like PuTTy:
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Why? It supports copy/paste so you can copy/paste all commands from tutorial. That way you will eliminate typos because those are the major problem for most users and those errors are hard to track down.

All updates to Ubuntu can be done by two commands from console(PuTTy):
    apt-get update - gets info about new updates
    apt-get upgrade - actual update procedure

and you are done. Do this one or twice a week and you will have fully updated system.

Similar can be done in most Linux Server Distributions but I have worked only with Ubuntu.

7. tegralens

tegralens New Member

Why not the 8.10 ? What is the Difference ?

8. _X_

_X_ New Member

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

- with non-LTS (Long Term Support) server versions they guaranty you free support (patches) for at least 18 months (1.5 year)

- with LTS server version you get five years free support (patches)

Since new versions of Ubuntu Servers are released proximately every 6 months you can always install new version and always have relatively secure server but I think that server that is patched for more then one year is more secure.

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'd use Debian. It's the base for Ubuntu, so it has the same package manager, but I consider it to be more stable.

10. tegralens

tegralens New Member

Why has none said Fedora I am surprised ?

11. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

I'd also go for debian as server.

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Edora hs always the latest software versions which may cause problems with updates. For a server it is better to have the most stable version plus patches like it is handled by debian instaed of having bleeding edge versions which are not that stable. Alos the apt software installer from debian is better in my opionion. With debian I was able to update my servers continiously for years now without a single problem while the yum installer from fedora breaks the bins installation on a ispconfig server with every bind update and you have to fix the permissions manually afterwards.

13. bernholdt

bernholdt Member

Well i use Debain i found it wery easy when i started as a total Linux noob ;)
    The upgrade it so wery easy with apt-get/apt-get upgrade, the only thing that gives me a little gray hair is Eaccelerator that needs a recompiling after every update that includes php.

14. tegralens

tegralens New Member

Thanks for everyones oppinion. I will use most likely the Ubuntu Server most likely Thanks. I have another question but it's a little off topic and Will start another port. THANKS EVERYONE.