Question about the real bandwitdh of a guaranteed 500 Mbs network

Discussion in 'Technical' started by adrenalinic, Sep 20, 2009.

1. adrenalinic

adrenalinic Member

Hi to all! (howtoforge is a very wonderful website, i love it!)

I have some doubts about the real transfer bandwitdh of a server with guaranteed connection of 500Mbit/s to make a stream of a live event using the shoutcast software! :eek:

1) a 100mbps network interface is capable of transferring ~12.5 megabytes per second.
    2) 500Mbits = 64000kilobytes

each listener use 128kilobytes to listen the stereo audio stream and....the total amount of listeners will be of ~500.

But there is a range of bandwidth that can be loss? How much bandwidth I would have to delete from the nominal calculation to make a realistic forecast of the real connected listeners?

The hardware will be like this:
    Dell PowerEdge™ R710 with cpu Quad-Core Intel ® Xeon ® E5504 and 4gb of ram.

Any council is very accepts!
    Thanks you very much in advance. :eek:

2. id10t

id10t Member

Count on 10-15% for TCP overhead... You may want to look at using something like Darwin Streaming Server and multicasting it though...

3. adrenalinic

adrenalinic Member

Hi.
    Thanks for your response.
    I already use darwin streaming server on a ubuntu server ...work very nice...

But the people's need to listen the stream trought a web flash player...and flash not support rtps stream...the same silverlight...

the choise of shoutcast is only for the visibility of the big event within the shoutcast web site.

i'm thinking to use two 500mbit server for double stream and a 3rd backup 500mbit server with ip fail over system.. I'm verifying if can make an flex flash player that read the number of connection and split the new listeners, if the first server is full to the secondo server... or the 3rd server at same time, but for the 3rd server i have to verify if ip failover and shoutcast work assigning two dynamic ip to the same machine while is working.

I am still looking for other low cost solutions.
    Thanks for your post.

Regards,
    Josef. ;)