Question - LAMP System With Fedora

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by hooligan, Aug 3, 2007.

1. hooligan

hooligan New Member

Hey there all,

Recently I decided to re-install and configure my LAMP server, simply because I had it set up just for testing sites on my local network and over the past few months its just become a big mess. The other couple of reasons are that I want to host a couple sites on it and to document the installation and any changes I make to it so I can roll back and know what I've done. So I figured I would started fresh.

The previous installation I followed along with Installing A LAMP System With Fedora Core 6. It seemed to do the job nicely so I decided I would use it for the basis of my Installation. So today I started reading over the tutorial and found something I wasn't to sure on so I thought I would get you pro's to answer it for me.

In the beginning of the tutorial in the installation part it asks for I few details I'm not sure about.

Under the set the hostname part I assume I can put server1.mydomain.com?

And in the part that asks for Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS im not sure where you get the values for the second 2. Are they just the IP's of 2 name servers? Like the ones that host my domain names or just any in general?

Sorry for the stupid question, I just want to set it up properly this time. Originally I put in the same values as the tutorial.

Much appreciate any help.

PS: There will probably be more stupid questions to follow.

2. hooligan

hooligan New Member

Also another quick question. My router is located at 192.168.1.1 because its pluged in through lan cable. Now anywhere I see 192.168.0.1 do I replace it with 192.168.1.1? And is my gateway 192.168.1.1 or the one on the routers admin page? Or is the gateway on a network always the routers ip and then the router has its own gateway which is an IP off the lan eg ISP?

So for the values does this look right so far.
    IPv4 = 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0

On the router admin page my mask is 255.255.255.255 do I use that value instead?

As for the rest I have

Hostname = server1.mydomain.com.au

Gateway = 192.168.1.1
    Primary DNS = ?
    Secondary DNS = ?

If I input the values for the primary and secondary DNS from the tutorial. Can I change them later?

Thanks

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, but server1.mydomain.com should exist in DNS.

You can use the nameservers from the tutorial. These are two working nameservers from Germany.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes.
    Yes.

Correct.