Question re Fedora 9 on 4/29

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jkrell, Apr 23, 2008.

1. jkrell

jkrell New Member

I noticed that Fedora 9 gets released next week. Being a "bleeding edge" kind of guy, I want to upgrade my systems. Obviously this should be a no brainer on my Fedora 8 "Perfect Desktop" machine, but I am wondering what impacts it might have on my Fedora 8 "Perfect Server" machine. I have spent about a month getting the server to work great, and have set up a wiki, gallery and blog. I also use the same machine as a media server for all my other machines around the house. Should I just stick with Fedora 8 or is it pretty harmless to upgrade?

Also, I have two kernel-dependent applications on the server that often cause issues with updates -- VirtualBox, which I have to update manually after each kernel update, and the Nvidia drivers, which can get messed up if I do a kernel upgrade before the related kmod package is available. Will these issues cause complications with an upgrade to Fedora 9?

2. o.meyer

o.meyer New Member Moderator

Hi jkrell,

if you only use the standard repositories + livna it should be no problem, but you should wait till the livna repository for Fedora 9 contains all the stuff that you integrated into Fedora 8. Of preference you should perform the upgrade with a Fedora 9 DVD (using Anaconda). By the way, you should install the packages yum-kernel-module, yum-fedorakmod and yum-skip-broken to prevent problems with kernel modules - so a new kernel will not be installed until the fitting kernel modules are available.

Best regards,

Olli

PS: The Fedora 9 release is delayed to the 13.05. -> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Schedule