Questions about Debian howtos...

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by freebie, Mar 2, 2007.

1. freebie

freebie New Member

Hello everybody,

I've decided to use The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge to install an OS and then to use Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP-AUTH, Quota, SpamAssassin, ClamAV) to configure the server for what I need it to do :)
    However... these howto's a quite old (from year 2005), and since they use Debian 31r0a, but the current version is 31r5, I'm afraid that there might be differencies (in versions of packages, etc.).
    I am very new to Debian (but that's my problem ;) anyway).
    So, is there a chance that my worries can come true, or I can use those howtos to install & configure current Debian version?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
    Peter

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your problem will be most likely not the debian packages because the names have not changed.

The problem is that the perfect setup howto is not compatible with the virtual user howto. They describe two completely different wys of configuring a mail system.

3. freebie

freebie New Member

Um...

I've actually read at the begining of the Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP-AUTH, Quota, SpamAssassin, ClamAV) to use The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge - page 1 and page 2. That's why I've started to install it that way.
    But... I already have a problem :)
    At the place where I have to choose http mirror for apt, after my choice is made, I got a message telling me that there's temporary failure resolving hostname of chosen mirror, and no matter what selection I make, the same message keeps appearing...
    What to do now?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, page 1 and 2, but not the whole tutorial. ;)
    Seems to be a name resolution problem. What's in /etc/resolv.conf? Does the Debian system have a working internet connection?