questions about installation options

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Praude, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Praude

Praude New Member

I'm planing to do a clean install of "Suse 10 perfect setup" using a 64bit version.
    I was trying debian but i thoght it was a shame to be running a 32 bit system in a Athlon 64 X2 and I didn't get the hang of debian very well.
    Since I'm more familiar with suse I'll switch back to it, I read the newst version of ISPConfig now installs on a SUSE x86-64 without having to manually edit anything.

I have some (really dumb) questions about the ISPConfig instalation
    but In doubt, I rather ask and make things right:

on SETP 7 and STEP 8
    Encrypt the private key now? [Y/n]:
    Do I have to choose "No" so the server can be restarted without human intervention? I remember it mentioning something in the earlier versions about this so i'm not sure

Please enter the IP address of the ISPConfig web (e.g. 192.168.0.1):

should I use the server ip (e.g. 192.168.123.x) or the router ip (e.g. 200.175.x.x) ?
    The server is behind a router as a dmz host and everithing gets fowarded to it

Please enter the host name (e.g. www):
    Please enter the domain (e.g. xyz.de):

the only registered domain I have right now (praude.eti.br) is already hosted somewherelse, and is has the following hosts "www" "ftp" "mail" configured at that site.
    Can I use "serverX" for the ISPConfig host (localmachine host name) and praude.eti.br (localdomain)? and later setup dns records pointing serverX.praude.eti.br to the router IP wich ISPConfig machine stands behind
    Or shoud I just leave host blank and use the router ip (e.g. 200.175.x.x)? what would be best ?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, "n" is correct: http://www.ispconfig.org/manual_installation.htm

Always the IP that is on the server - in your case 192.168.123.x.

You can use serverX.praude.eti.br, but make sure that it exists in /etc/hosts if it doesn't exist in DNS. You should then create DNS records for it as soon as possible pointing to your public IP address (don't forget to forward port 81 from your router to your ISPConfig system).

3. Praude

Praude New Member

thanks for the help Falko