Questions About Using & Implementing DomainKeys

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by giganet, Jun 8, 2009.

1. giganet

giganet New Member

Hello group...

In an effort to protect my new server config from UCE and to help ensure that legitiemate outgoing E-Mail makes it to it's final destination I am looking at using DomainKeys but have a couple questions.

I am looking at following the HTF Tutorial: http://howtoforge.com/quick-and-easy-setup-for-domainkeys-using-ubuntu-postfix-and-dkim-filter

1) Is DomainKeys a paid service or is it just an internally implemented tool?

2) Will using DomainKeys help to stop SPAMMERS from hurting my mail servers IP reputation?

Thank you for your time and information.

Best Regards

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

No domainkeys is not a paid service, and yes it will improve your reputation as people can not claim to be you when sending out spam.

But domainkeys has depreciated in favor of DKIM i would go with DKIM if i were you.

3. giganet

giganet New Member

Thanks for the reply TopDog

EDIT: I visited your site and located the tutorial: Setup DKIM on Postfix with dkim-milter [http://www.topdog.za.net/postfix_dkim_milter]

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 with ISPConfig3, PostFix , would your tutorial pretty much apply with the exceptions of methods of installation?
    If you have any pre-installation suggestions I would greeatly appreciate any you would be willing to provide me with..

The tutorial found here at HTF: Quick And Easy Setup For DomainKeys Using Ubuntu, Postfix And Dkim-Filter

This setup includes the useage of the DKIM filtration.
    So this is an appropriate tutorial in that it does use DKIM correct?

Thank you for your time and help...

Best Regards

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  4. topdog

topdog Active Member

Actually i think there is a typo in the title of that howto, as what is happening is DKIM signing not Domain keys signing as it is dkim-filter that is being used.

dkim-filter can only verify Domain keys not sign messages with DK, its dk-filter that can sign and verify Domain keys.

So yes you can go with that howto. Just note that these days signing your mail does not guarantee that yahoo will accept them directly into the inbox depending on your IP address reputation they could still end up in the bulk mailbox.

5. giganet

giganet New Member

Hi TopDog

Thank you once again for your reply...

I just wanted to clarify: The HTF DKIM tutorial may have a mis-spelling in the title?
    So the HTF tutorial would suffice my needs here then?

Have a great night TopDog

Best Regards

6. topdog

topdog Active Member

Yes thats correct the tutorial will do exactly what you need.