Questions on quota - Ububtu Perfect Install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ProgressiveBastion, Jun 11, 2006.

1. ProgressiveBastion

ProgressiveBastion New Member

I have installed everything up to (in the works as we speak) ISPConfig. When I ran into on page http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10_p3 the below blurb:

Well I didn't have all the info that this exampled provided. So I did a verbatim to the file of what is shown below in bold. I backed up the original. Not what my file had but went with it. Now my question is: Facts are: I get a warning or error message say something about non mounting. I can't remember what exactly (it was very late last night ;-) ) But it lets me log on this morning after a restart because of tar.gz errors & I was able to upgrade to ISPConfig. I had a tar error trying to do ISPConfig so I did a zlib wget and got that installed. Then I was able to run the install script & and past step 8. I also checked telnet to talk to my SMTP, did a web page look-up of the Apache Server. Everything seems to be as it should!

Now the question; Should I delete the file and reinstall my back-up and then add the small changes? i.e. -ro, usrquota,grpquota & the additional drives i.e. / or /dev/sda/whatever. I also changed everything to the sda instead of mda (I think) that was shown in the below example.

Sorry for any confusion but I like to dive right. And this tutorial has been a great help and has got me in past my neck. I've had a few set backs but it's only taken 12 hours so far. And so far everything seems to be doing what it's suppose to do. I have this pathological issue with warnings & error prompts. I expect to have a very smooth wall after it's all said a done so I need to run this issue down.

ANY constructive/detailed input or link to said issues would be mucho appreciated.

Why do I need a server? To Run Bit-Torrents on Progressive & Anti-Establishment videos & non MSM shows like DemocracyNOW.org & SourceCode by hosting their mp3's, a Tor Server with private services, A SSL jabber network for ppl who need a secure way to communicate @ lastly a SSL/PGP secured e-mail server in order to service dissenters & Whistle-blowers & ordinary Citizens who are opposed to the current regimes tendency (with help of the baby bells) to sniff every packet out their.

You can get my drift over at my site ProgressiveBastion.com.
    Imagine every-packet out their encrypted. NSA & other repressive govermentsal snoops would have a hell of a time... They want to take our Civil rights; well then let's encrypt every packet of lawful & protected speech & activitiy just to make their job hell. Thiefs of our Civil Rights. Grummmble Grummble....:mad:

THIS IS THE SECTION I pasted from the guide (Made my file look exactly like below; therefore the error) Do I just add the small changes?

Quota
    apt-get install quota

Edit /etc/fstab to look like this (I added ,usrquota,grpquota to the partitions with the mount point / and /var):

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,usrquota,grpquota 0 1
    /dev/sda1 /boot ext3 defaults 0 2
    /dev/sda4 /var ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 0 2
    /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

I know this is probably a pretty greenhorn question....

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Don't copy the /etc/fstab from the tutorial! You must use the one from your system and add ,usrquota,grpquota to the / partition.

3. ProgressiveBastion

ProgressiveBastion New Member

Roger that

Falko thanks for the confirmation....

peace