Questions regarding postfix how-to.

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by joelee, Jul 27, 2007.

1. joelee

joelee New Member

I am trying to follow this how-to:
    http://howtoforge.com/virtual_users_and_domains_with_postfix_debian_etch

I want to set up dovecot instead of Courier... I understand Dovecot is better. Should I just replace the courier files with dovecot... Has anyone done this and can you please tell me what needs to be replaced to support dovecot.

Also, I've read comment on the how-to about some possible security issue from a user and wanted to know if those comments are valid and what could be done to fix or address the issue. Here the comment:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Why do you think Dovecot is better? Both daemons do exactly the same...
    The Dovecot configuration is completely different from the Courier configuration, so this tutorial won't work with Dovecot.

3. joelee

joelee New Member

Falko, thanks for your reply and comments... Basically, I did a google search dovecot vs courier and it seems that most people reports that Dovecot is better is terms of speed, security and less on memory resources. So, I thought I might want to try it. But, if it does not work with how-to I will try courier.

Joe

4. johnnynine

johnnynine New Member

Has there been any closure on which of Dovecot or Courier is "better"?

I guess "better" for me means more stable, faster, and more features in that order. I need a very fast pop3 server and I noticed that there are install guides for both on this site.

I also noticed that Courier has an MTA... is postfix a "better" MTA?

Thanks.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think that both are equal. :)