Questions regarding updating ISPCFG3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Ovidiu, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

So first of all, what exactly does this option do:

I once chose yes by mistake and didn't realize my whole postconfig configuration got messed up or rather reset to a basic level.

• Is that what this option does?
    • Which services are affected?
    • Can we get a notification when an ISPCFG3 update really needs a service reconfiguration so we can save our configs before and then merge them into the newly installed ones from ISPCFG?

Then at the next step I got this issue when cron got reconfigured, what exactly am I supposed to do here?

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

You have time sync error. I believe you are using CentOS. Follow
    Like this make the changes as per your time/settings.

You can find out the correct timezone for your system by running:

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This option resets the configuration to match the requirements of the new ispconfig version. I use that option on each update and my systems are working fine. You must have changed your setup in a way that its not compatible with the ispconfig standard setup if this causes problems on your server. If you choose no, then you have to edit all config files manually and adjust them to be compatibe with the new release.

all services that are configuerd by ispconfig.

You have to use this at least for each major version.

4. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

@srijan:
    I'm on Debian and my php.ini already reflects the correct settings but then I realized, this was not done in /etc/php5/cli/php.ini - so maybe this will fix that error nwo for good!

@falko:

OK so as far as I remember, choosing to reconfigure services once messed up my postfix config. From your reply I take it that should not happen, right? Am I right when I say that reconfigure services should only configure/add/adjust settings needed for ISPCFG3 and not touch other stuff i.e. inside my /etc/postfix/main.cf or /etc/postfix/master.cf?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. LukeRoberts

LukeRoberts New Member

A diff list for config files would be nice - am I missing something?

First of all: Thanks for this amazing software!

I have started running ISPconfig3 as a mailserver for clients. I have a Comodo SSL certificate setup for postfix, dovecot, pureftp and apache (ispconfig and for roundcube webmail on the server).

I've done some further tuning in the dovecot config file and modified some other things like welcom mails in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/mail

As I run ISPconfig on a Debian VM (on XenServer 6.2) I decided to copy the VM dirst and do a testrun of the latest update, before I released the update on my production server. I was pretty surprised to see that the update script simply kills all my config tuning. Gone are my SSL cert, key, CAfile and pem settings. Even my welcome mails are simply reset to the standard files. Why?

Is there no way that ISPconfig's update script can do a diff (or something like a FreeBSD mergemaster), or simply place the updated files in a seperate directory, for me to manually do a diff, so I can at least keep my config tuned the way I want it, but compatible with ISPconfig?

I see that the files are backed up to /var/backup, but I haven't a clue config which files are modified/restet by the update script.

Anybody got any advice how to get round this problem?
    Updating ISPconfig servers should be easy. This is not easy and causes considerable downtime during updates.

Thanks, Luke