Quick question about Postfix + MySQL

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by asterix, Sep 10, 2006.

1. asterix

asterix New Member

Hi,

I followed this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier

I reached the end of page 2, but the command "telnet localhost pop3" failed, so I went to check why.

I found the following in my logs:

Code:
    Sep 10 02:32:40 server postfix/cleanup[22630]: warning: connect to mysql server unix:/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    Code:
    server:/etc/postfix# mysql -u mail_admin -p --socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
    Enter password:
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 28 to server version: 4.0.24_Debian-10sarge2-log

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>
    All of my config files are the defaults (except for changing the hosts =, since I only access the server via local socket) e.g.:

Code:
    server:/etc/postfix# cat mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf
    user = mail_admin
    password = mail_admin_password
    dbname = mail
    table = forwardings
    select_field = destination
    where_field = source
    hosts = unix:/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
    I can connect via the command-line mysql client and via PHP/Perl with the same socket/user/pass, why isn't Postfix working? [​IMG]

Thanks!

(P.S. this is the first time I've ever encountered a problem with one of your articles. Keep up the good work. :))

2. asterix

asterix New Member

Little note I forgot to mention:

My current setup DOES work if I allow MySQL access from localhost via:

iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp -s 127.0.0.1 --destination-port 3306 -j ACCEPT

I would like to use it over a socket though!

3. asterix

asterix New Member

Still haven't resolved my socket syntax issue, but I have a more pressing concern atm:

Code:
    Sep 10 13:21:28 server imaplogin: LOGIN, [email protected], ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], protocol=IMAP
    Sep 10 13:22:04 server imaplogin: LOGOUT, [email protected], ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], headers=445, body=0, time=36
    I have Squirrelmail up and running correctly, but it's taking almost 40 SECONDS to switch between pages in its interface.

Why on EARTH would it take 40 seconds to query a local imap server? [​IMG]

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please use 127.0.0.1 instead of the MySQL socket, and also switch off your firewall for now.

5. asterix

asterix New Member

Ok, I am using 127.0.0.1 (although socket would be preferred... and faster), and everything seems to work ok.

Aside from viewing the Squirrelmail interface, which takes between 15 and 45 seconds to load a page. Any ideas?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your mail log and in Apache's error log?