Quickest, Easiest NMS for Debian

Discussion in 'Technical' started by tfunky, Dec 2, 2007.

1. tfunky

tfunky New Member

Hi All,

I've spent the last 2 days googling to find a Network Monitoring/Alerting solution that is...

1. Easy to setup
    2. Opensource
    4. Easy to run on Etch
    5. Can monitor MySQL, Apache2, Exchange, Windows server, Debian and CentOS systems.
    6. Monitor proc utilization, diskspace, etc on Debian server.

I've looked at Nagios (it's WAY over my head), Bixdata (couldn't figure it out), WhatsupGolds demo (costs $$$ AND has to run on a windows machine...ick!) and looked at several others on the web without trying them.

I figure with all of the linux gurus that are here they have to have some recommendations for NMS.

Can someone please recommend a Easy to install and configure NMS system?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Tfunk

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. tfunky

tfunky New Member

Munin doesn't send up/down type alerts does it ? I reread over the homepage and the howtoforge guide and I don't see anything about alerting.

Does it do alerting ? I could just be missing it.

Thanks for your help!

4. tfunky

tfunky New Member

Just to clarify, I understand that monit can restart a failed service, but that doesn't actually say that the site is available or not, right? Or am I looking at this backwards.

In my head, if the apache service hangs then the site isn't unavailable, but the site can be unavailable and the the service still look okay to monit.

Is that correct?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can configure monit to check Apache's error log and take action if it finds something there.

6. tfunky

tfunky New Member

Thanks for your help! I'll look into it more deeply.