quota.service error on debian jessie installation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by wanardin, May 22, 2015.

1. wanardin

wanardin New Member

after server installed with the tutorial "The Perfect Server - Debian 8 Jessie (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)", the server presents a initialization quota.service error message. On enter the command "/etc/init.d/quota status", this message appears.

quota.service - Check And Enable File System Quotas
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/quota.service; enabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2015-05-22 14:41:55 BRT; 2min 34s ago
    Docs: man:quotaon(8)
    Process: 333 ExecStart=/usr/share/quota/quotaon.sh (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 333 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

however, after fully booted, i type the command "/etc/init.d/quota start", and everything returns to normal. When entering the command "/etc/init.d/quota status", this message appears.

quota.service - And Check Enable File System Quotas
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/quota.service; enabled)
    Active: active (exited) since Fri 05/22/2015 14:49:57 EDT; 2s August
    Docs: man: quotaon (8)
    Process: 2303 ExecStart = / usr / share / share / quotaon.sh (code = exited, status = 0 / SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 2303 (code = exited, status = 0 / SUCCESS)

I believe the problem is with the boot order of services. But I do not know how to change this order. How do I proceed to boot the quota.service at the end of the boot?

2. gregory121

gregory121 New Member

I have got the same problem with clean Jessie install. I do not think starting quota manually is good solution because when I do it like that I always get errors from Apache when quota is enabled that way.
    Errors are comming in pairs:
    1) WARNING - Apache did not restart after the configuration change for website WEBSITE.COM. Reverting the configuration. Saved non-working config as /etc/apache2/sites-available/WEBSITE.COM
    2) WARNING - Reason for Apache restart failure: Failed to restart httpd.service: Unit httpd.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    When I remove qouta apache starts with no errors.
    Previously I had ISPC installed on Debian 7 and there was no such problem.

btw. did you manage to solve the quota problem?

3. ngoyette

ngoyette Member

i have the exact same problem on exact same build ....
    how do we make quota not fail on auto boot?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Try to add:

/etc/init.d/quota start

in /etc/rc.local file.

5. ngoyette

ngoyette Member

okay this would be a work around for now ..
    is it a bug with quota on jessie?

6. till

I guess that systemd starts quota too early so that the system is not ready at that boot stage for the quota service. Thats something that should be fixed by the debian devs.

7. ngoyette

ngoyette Member

alright thanks!

8. shilpa

shilpa New Member

Hiii

I want to reset a quota size for user.
    Eg. If suppose user name Shilpa have 100mb and when shilpa user used its 100mb its quota get reset and again start from 0.
    Is that possible in quota?????
    If yes then please do reply.....

9. till

You will have to delete all files that atre owned by the user to set the quota to 0. Or you set the quota to 200mb if you want to give the user 100mb more space.

10. shilpa

shilpa New Member

hiiiii

Thanks for your reply...
    can you tell which exact should I have to remove.
    And one more, I have near about 100 user of quota it means I have do this process frequently for each user.
    Is there is any another way to avoid this frequently deletion of quota file to reset a quota.
    Is there is any file who can maintain a track of quota use so that by reseting that file my quota get reset.....

11. till

The quota value is the amount of disk space used by a user. Like I explained above, you have to delete the files owned by this user, not a quota file. So the user will lose all data that he has stored on your server.

You can see the actaully used amount of disk space with:

repquota -avug

12. shilpa

shilpa New Member

Hiii
    Thanks again
    But I want without deleting a user data I can reset its quota, It act like I have never allocated a quota to that user.
    Eg. If User name Shilpa have 100MB, and when she used its 100MB then, for shilpa user the quota start again from 0MB without affecting its previous data.
    Can it be possible???
    By help of setquota or something....

Guys Plzzzzz Help Me...

13. till

This is not possible as quota is the amount of data that a user actually uses, you can not reset quota without deleting the files of this user. What you can do is that you simply add 100MB each month.

14. shilpa

shilpa New Member

Okkkkk
    But is there is not any source file which we can change to achieve this...

15. shilpa

shilpa New Member

because I google and found that geowebcache-diskquota.xml file is there to achieve it....
    But I am using Linux-Mint and wont find this file...

16. shilpa

shilpa New Member

17. till

The software GeoWebCache is "GeoWebCache is a Java web application used to cache map tiles coming from a variety of sources such as OGC Web Map Service (WMS).". This is not Linux Filesystem quota.

18. shilpa

shilpa New Member

okkkk
    So cant we make a any changes in source code of quota to achieve it...

19. till

So you cant reset disk quota without deleting the files used by this quota, what you can do is that you increase the quota once per month by 100mb like I explained already above. Write a script that reads the current quota usage for each user once a month with the repquota command, then add 100mb to that value and set this new quota with setquota command.

20. till

Off course you can do that if you are a good C programmer. Get the code of the Linux kernel quota module, modify it and compile your own kernel with it.