quota.x-username files appearing in /tmp

Discussion in 'General' started by titanium, Oct 10, 2006.

1. titanium

titanium New Member

Hi there

I've been using Ispconfig, running on Debian, using Postfix, Dovecot and Squirrelmail, for almost a year now. It has been working very well.

Recently, I noticed some quota files have been appearing in /tmp. They are in the format quota.mailx-username, where x is the unique number assigned by Ispconfig, and username is the user account created for a specific domain. For example, quota.mail29-joesoap:
    -rw------- 1 mail29-joesoap web11 2387968 Sep 19 09:49 quota.mail29-joesoap

These files appear to contain mail output from the mailer daemon, which is addressed to the user in question.

My question is, why does mail that is apparently destined for a certain user end up in the quota file in /tmp? The size of the quota.mail29-joesoap file is usually several hundred kilobytes to a few megabytes in size, which obviously forms part of the user's own quota and exacerbates his quota over limit problem.

What causes these files to be created, and how do I solve this issue?

Many thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's the output of
    Code:
    repquota -avu|grep mail29-joesoap
    repquota -avg|grep web11
    ?

3. titanium

titanium New Member

Hi falko

Thank you for your response. The output is as follows:

servername:~# repquota -avu | grep mail29-joesoap
    mail29-joesoap -- 3348 10240 10240 67 0 0

servername:~# repquota -avg | grep web11
    web11 -- 81024 256000 256000 1412 0 0

Bear in mind that I solved the issue by changing ownership of the quota.mail29-joesoap file in /tmp.

I understand how the concept of quota works, but my question was why does mail intended for the user go into the quota.mail29-joesoap file? Especially since, as the file is owned by the user, it will form part of his quota; and if he cannot access the file as it is located in /tmp (no shell access is given to users), the only way to fix this is for me to rm the quota.mail29-joesoap file, or change ownership of it to root.

I have been informed that mail sent to mail29-joesoap is bounced if he goes over quota, but what can I do to prevent the file quota.mail29-joesoap from being created in /tmp and growing in size until I sort it out?

Many thanks

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think this might help:

Code:
    postconf -e 'home_mailbox = Maildir/'
    postconf -e 'mailbox_command ='
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart