quotaon.service loaded failed failed

Discussion in 'Technical' started by CyberMaster, Jul 6, 2022.

1. CyberMaster

CyberMaster New Member

Hi everyone.

I setup a new ISPConfig server. I've only about 29 clients on it and none of these clients have quota limits.

Running systemctl list-units --type=service returns:

quotaon.service loaded failed failed

Is this supposed to be running even though noone has been added with any limits yet?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You do not mention what OS this is. But I would assume quotaon service should run, it seems to be installed since systemd tries to start it.
    Try to find why it fails:
    Code:
    systemctl status quotaon.service
    systemctl start quotaon.service

3. CyberMaster

CyberMaster New Member

Hi there Taleman.
    I'm running Debian 11 with the ISPConfig as a single server.
    In the log when attempting to to start the service shows:
    Code:
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set systemd[1]: Starting Enable File System Quotas...
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set quotaon[277598]: quotaon: using //quota.group on /dev/sda5 [/]: Device or resource busy
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set quotaon[277598]: quotaon: using //quota.user on /dev/sda5 [/]: Device or resource busy
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set quotaon[277598]: quotaon: cannot find /var/www/quota.group on /dev/sda3 [/var/www]
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set quotaon[277598]: quotaon: cannot find /var/www/quota.user on /dev/sda3 [/var/www]
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set quotaon[277598]: quotaon: cannot find /var/vmail/quota.group on /dev/sda4 [/var/vmail]
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set quotaon[277598]: quotaon: cannot find /var/vmail/quota.user on /dev/sda4 [/var/vmail]
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set systemd[1]: quotaon.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=6/NOTCONFIGURED
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set systemd[1]: quotaon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jul  6 08:03:52 set systemd[1]: Failed to start Enable File System Quotas
    I don't understand the 'Device or resource busy' for the root directory(something is holding open a file, or a device is too busy), OR it could be a result of the following messages of cannot find quota.group and it is just what it says because there's no existing quota.group file on the www nor vmail partition directories..

Of course I realize that this is all probably because I added 2 new 'separate' drives for www and vmail by adding the drives, creating 1 simple partition on each, formatted with mkfs.ext4, got their blkid's, added them to fstab before the log entries for ISPConfig, made tmp mount directories for the new drives, mounted them, shutdown postfix, moved the /var/www and /var/vmail to the new drives and rebooted. Everything 'appears' ok except now with the quota daemon and so I need to correct something.

I don't know if this helps but my fstab file, minus the ISPConfig log file mounts is:
    Code:
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=5a414990-9efd-437c-beb4-59ceb2fefe1d /               ext4 errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=bbfc8d05-0671-477e-9165-c5768f1a7dc0 none            swap    sw              0       0
    UUID="00d41bf4-9fbc-48e2-bfa9-97a2372g47f1" /var/www               ext4 errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0       1
    UUID="f15f1ae5-b823-47d4-8111-04e576041450" /var/vmail               ext4 errors=remount-ro,usrjquota=quota.user,grpjquota=quota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0       1
    I wonder if by copying the roots quota.group and quota.user to the www and vmail directories the rebooting will correct this?

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, don't do this.

Probably quota is already enabled for the root filesystem, hence being in use it says' "resource busy."
    Quota cannot be enabled on those filesystems because it hasn't been setup. You need to use quotacheck to create these. Run 'quotacheck -avugmR; quotaon -avug' and it should recreate the quota files on your non-root filesystems.

CyberMaster likes this.
  5. CyberMaster

CyberMaster New Member

OK, so it was because I needed to 'add the new drive mounts' to the quota service after adding them to the system..

After running your commands then starting up /etc/init.d/quota start, status after says Active.

Re-running 'systemctl list-units --type=service', still displays the error: quotaon.service loaded failed.

After I am able to reboot, will the 'systemctl list-units --type=service' report be updated to reflect 'loaded active'?

Thanks!

6. Martin Svoboda

Martin Svoboda New Member

Hello to everybody,
    I would like to ask you for help in solving one problem.
    I added another HDD to the Debian 12 server.
    After setting up and connecting, everything works fine, but after restarting the server, a message appears:
    [FAILED] Failed to start quotaon.service - Enable File System Quotas.
    I am asking for a simple procedure to fix this error.
    Thank you
    Martin

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Martin Svoboda likes this.