Rdiff-backup and permissions question

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by joemiller, Apr 10, 2013.

1. joemiller

joemiller New Member

Hi, I've been following the tutorial here and managed to set up rdiff-backup on two machines, one of which can log on to the other and create backups of the file system. Both machines are running CentOS 6.3.

I'm wanting to be able to back up all the website files on a daily basis, storing the backups on the second server. I've tested my set-up, and it backs up files fine, with an exception.

My problem is that in securing the servers I've disabled root access, following guidelines from my server provider. I have a user set up that I can access the servers via ssh, and have configured rdiff-backup to use this user to log in via ssh. The problem is that this user can't access the web folders of any of the websites I've created in ISPConfig, and so can't create backups of them.

So, I'm wondering which solution to this problem might be best;
    1. Enable root access, but risk compromising my server
    2. Somehow add my user to a group that allows it access to the web files. I'm not sure what to do to achieve this, or if it would achieve the results I need.
    3. Allow ssh access to a user that already has access to the web files.
    4. Anything I've missed?
    I'm also not sure of the security implications of any of the above methods. Can anyone advise or help out please?

Many thanks