rdiff-backup version conflict

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by crudolphy, Sep 11, 2006.

1. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

I have two machines that are setup Ubuntu "Dapper" and 1 setup Ubuntu "Breezy". I want to setup backups utilizing the "Automated Backups with rdiff-backup.

Dapper uses version 1.1.5-1 of rdiff-backup. Breezy uses version 0.13.4-3ub of rdiff-backup. When I experiment from the command line, source directory is on the Breezy machine and the target is on the Dapper machine, the command bombs out with a bunch of errors which I believe are due to the difference in the versions of rdiff-backup. When backing up between the two "Dapper" machines which use the same version it works like a champ.

Could I download the "Dapper" package and install it on the "Breezy" machine? Or would I need to download the source and compile? Or should I upgrade the "Breezy" machine to "Dapper"?

What do you think is the best resolution.

Thanks

Chuck

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

That was my problem between a debian sarge and suse 9.1 server... for that reason I changed to rsync... maybe tht would be an option for you...

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think I'd try one of these two solutions.

4. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

Now I am investigating

Because of the version conflict I got to thinking that using rdiff-backup might not be such a good thing. All machines would have to be the same version, etc.etc.

Sjau's similiar experience and comment got me to read the rsync snapshot backup HowTo. Additionally I am reading Dave Taylor's book "Wicked Cool Shell Scripts" which has a couple of scripts for backing up.

I think I like the rsync backup method because rsync seems to work no matter which OS your using (Is there an "Rsync" for Windows??).

No matter which method you use for backup you also have to decide what's important to backup. Regarding this, I have seen some discussion as to doing "binary" backups of MySQL and backups using the mysqldump command. Which do most people prefer and why? Additionally if someone would wish to point me to any other articles/books/howto's that discuss the reasoning behind backing up certain directories/file trees I would be appreciative.:)

Thanks

Chuck

5. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

There is no native rsync on windows but you can install and run rsync with cygwin :) which I have done on my mom's computer to make backups on the linux box that I setup for her :)
    All she has to do is execute a batch file :)

You can also do binary backups of the mysql files but then I suggest to first stop the mysql server make the backups and then start mysql again.
    I heard when mysql is running and changes are being made while you "backup" the binary files that they may become corrupt (the backups) and in case of restoration you'd have a problem then.