rDNS, Hotmail and Yahoo

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Ryanmt, May 12, 2008.

1. Ryanmt

Ryanmt New Member

Yes.. another one of these threads. Ive done plenty of searching, and as such ive added the SPF records that were missing from some of the domains on the server, but mail still is still getting deleted (it doesnt even make it to the junk mailbox)

My server is on Ubuntu and has 2 ip addresses. I can assign RDNS records in the hypervm control panel. But i dont know what exacly i need to do.

My domains are setup like

www.axoc.co.uk
    MX = mail.axoc.co.uk
    www.axownersclub.com
    MX = mail.axownersclub.com
    etc...

my question is what hostname do i assign in the rdns for the main server IP for emails to work?

2. Ryanmt

Ryanmt New Member

ive tried adding an rdns for the main ip to vps.axoc.co.uk, in ISPconfig the hostname is vps and the domain axoc.co.uk. I have also created a dns record for vps.axoc.co.uk to point at the ip of the server.

Hotmail is flat out deleting the emails, Yahoo is auto moving them to spam.

I know these sites have whitelists but its not a pratical option for me, what about the mailservers who employ the same rules. I cant go emailing htem all getting all the domains added to their whitelists.

3. catdude

catdude ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Are either Yahoo or Hotmail sending bounce messages indicating the reason for the way they are handling your e-mails? If it's due to lack of reverse DNS records, the solution will depend on your service provider's setup.

Do you have dedicated IP addresses, or are you on shared IPs? If dedicated, do you have one per domain, or sharing one IP between both domains?

If you have dedicated IP addresses, then you probably want to set your reverse DNS record to match the host name of your mail server.

If you have a shared IP, you're most likely out of luck.

4. Ryanmt

Ryanmt New Member

ive got a dedicated IP. Shared across multiple domains.

When i receive the email to my gmail address the headers show.

Domain names edited to protect from spam replace XX with tiemotor.

I receive no errors from hotmail or yahoo.

5. catdude

Then I'd think you should be ok. The problems I've heard of with IP address issues before have been:
    *) Hotmail rejects e-mail from hosts that don't have any ptr record for their IP address. That's not the case here.
    *) Some ISPs reject or mark as SPAM mail from servers whose ptr record returns a domain different than the sending domain of the mail message. Not sure how to get around this one.

Have you tried telnet'ing to Hotmail's port 25 and sending a message by hand, seeing if they offer any clues as to why your mail is getting dropped? Do you actually have a ptr record defined for your IP address?

6. tal56

tal56 Member

I've got the same problem and I think this is the reason :

I'm not sure how to get around this either, all domains on my server who use webmail or roundcube get the email put into junk on hotmail.

I think the reason is the reverse lookup of the ip gets a domain other than the sending domain, but how can this be resolved on a shared hosting enviroment? I mean my IP will return my server name of course, is there any way around this?

BTW, I have read the other posts regarding contacting hotmail for each domain to be put on their allowed domians list, however this isn't really an option as I don't want to contact them each time a new hosted site is setup.

Has anyone got around this, and how? Thanks

7. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

You will need to ask Hotmail (MSN) and Yahoo to white list your domain(s).
    This needs to be done for every domain, or let the users use your main MX record for sending email...

I know that you did find the info allready, but here it is again.

More info from Hotmail here: http://postmaster.live.com/
    When all is setup correct, and still having problems you WILL need to contact a Hotmail admin and ask if they can add your domain(s)
    You can do this here: https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl&ct=eformts
    When done, a Hotmail admin will contact you.

It's the same for Yahoo and many more..

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  8. tal56

tal56 Member

That seems like a lot of work each time you get a new hosted domain though.

I was using Cpanel on another shared server before and never had to do this, I just wonder how they got around this? I used to just add domains, and they had no problems using webmail on the shared server and sending to hotmail or yahoo. Strange.

9. Ryanmt

Ryanmt New Member

That seems crazy, dont most shared servers have about 100 sites on the same IP?

I thought the rdns thing would be instant but is it possible that hotmail haven't updated yet.

I just tried sending an email manually by telneting the hotmail.com server but had no joy. It said "250 <[email protected]> Queued mail for delivery
    " but it didnt arrive.

Emailing hotmail and yahoo is ok for hotmail and yahoo but what about other mail servers who have the same set of rules on them.. the email will be getting dropped. I would like to fix this properly rather than just getting it to work for these two mailservers.

10. catdude

I'm not sure whether I'd call it crazy or stupid, but yes, it is. It's bordering on unbelievable that a provider could be that stupid, but I have heard numerous reports of providers doing this. I'll see if I can dig up the e-mails I've seen that report this.

It's also possible that you're getting bitten by one of those mysterious issues that never seem to get resolved properly. It's completely unrelated to ISPConfig, but a hosting company I used to work for was completely unable to send e-mail to Yahoo customers. E-mail sent there would transfer normally, no error messages, but would never be delivered. I spent hours trying to track down the problem, and Yahoo's final solution was "relay your mail for Yahoo customers through a different server".

11. Ryanmt

Ryanmt New Member

Grim, very grim.

Is there anyway i can block the mail server from emailing hotmail?