rDNS

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Dextros, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Dextros

Dextros Member

Hi Guys

It has come to my attention that using server propvided hostnames is not ideal.

On SYS control panel, it gives me to option to add a reverse DNS rather than use ns12123.xxx.eu

Should I add a reverse for my main DNS ie inspiredsolutionsuk.com. What would I call it?

Then, I go into debian, and can I cange everything in the control panel, or should i change files manually, and will this update in ISP control panel?

Thanks

Lee

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The server hostname has to be a subdomain, so something like server.inspiredsolutionsuk.com or server1.inspiredsolutionsuk.com

The hostname has to be changed in the files:

/etc/hostname
    /etc/mailname
    /etc/postfix/main.cf
    /etc/hosts

and afterwards restart the server. Finally you can change it under System > Server services and System > Server config in ISPConfig.

3. Dextros

Dextros Member

Hi Till
    Also to add, I needed to put an A record in my dns under the correct domain that the glue records are in, and all is going very well.
    KRs
    Lee

4. babydunk

babydunk Member

can you please tell me, when using a different hostname. does the ip within ispconfig/system/server config/server name/server/ip address/, need to be the same as the A record for the domain used?

its just i find when i change that ip all my mail stops working. but then their is one action that i was never doing and thats changing /etc/mailname.

thanks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. till

The hostname has to exist as DNS A-Record in dns. The hostname is a subdomain, not the domain itself, so the IP address of the domain does not matter for the hostname, just ensure that you have a valid dns A-Record for the hostnames's subdomain.

6. babydunk

babydunk Member

so if the server is call server1.domain.tld the hostname is server1 ?

so i would change
    /etc/hostname
    /etc/mailname
    /etc/postfix/main.cf
    /etc/hosts

then set hostname in dns record domain.tld. server1.

what about within ispconfig?
    what about the ispconfig server ip ? everytime i change this to one of my failovers the server fails to send mail. maybe because i have missed the last few steps ?

cheer man your a legend :p

7. till

yes.

yes.

Nothing needs to be cahnged there.

babydunk likes this.