Re-establishing Software RAID (mdadm)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by VitalSpark, Oct 14, 2009.

1. VitalSpark

VitalSpark New Member

Hi guys, looking for a little bit of assistance with Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS. What happened is we had an issue a little while back that required us to restore from a backup that we created while making changes. When we restored from backup the server wouldn't boot. Before, it was booting off of md0 but after imaging, the only HD that was available was sda so I had to make changes to mount points in order to reflect the device changes.

Now we would like to re-establish the redundant array. The only issue is that a reload of Ubuntu and reconfigure of ISPconfig is probably out of the picture. What I am wondering is: is there any way to create some redundancy without having to reload the whole thing. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. VitalSpark

VitalSpark New Member

Thanks for your reply falko. I read through all the information on that page, and it all seems to refer to only using md devices. Well, after restoration, my system has managed to lose all md devices and now only has one sda device. Just one question, if I were to run mdadm and create a RAID 1 array with sda and sdb by running (roughly) "mdadm --create /dev/md0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb" (i know it's incorrect syntax), but would that wipe out the data on the drive?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

5. VitalSpark

VitalSpark New Member

Many thanks falko, I shall give this a try soon. Too bad I was unable to locate this page myself :(