Re-generating SSL certificates for ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by Norman, May 13, 2008.

1. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

This is related to a new (critical) vurnurability affecting openSSL in debian 4.0
    ( see http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2008/msg00152.html ) .

Could someone be so kind as to give me input on my checklist:

This is not really ISPConfig's fault but I'm going to have to regenerate all ssl certificates on all systems.

So... for debian "perfect setup" what would I need to do?

1. regenerate SSL certificates for ISPConfig
    2. regenerate SSL certificates for IMAP-SSL / POP3-SSL
    3. Re-generate customer self-signed certificates. (ok, know how this is done)
    4. re-generate keys for SSH (done with apt-get upgrade)

Anything else I might've missed?

How do I regenerate SSL certificates for 1 and 2?

2. letic

letic New Member

That's a good question I was actually asking myself. Is ISPConfig using openssl from the installed Debian package or does it compile its own ?

Well I check in the setup2 script and you can see that the script is actually checking where the openssl command is (please Till and Falko correct me if I'm wrong) :

Code:
     echo
      echo "########## OPENSSL ##########"
      echo
      echo $q_openssl_check
      which openssl
      if [ $? != 0 ]; then
        error "openssl not found!";
      else
        log "openssl found: `which openssl`"
        echo OK
      fi

but I couldn't find where it actually use it, but I think we'll have to regenerate all our keys...

Falko, Till could you confirm ?

Thanks in advance
    LeTic

3. daveb

daveb Member

I belive ispconfig uses its own install of openssl for ssl certs generated by ispconfig for sites.
    What do you do about all the ssl certs that are already signed by a Certificate Authority?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

5. till

If I remember correctly, ISPConfig uses the openssl from the linux distribution to create the certificates. The openssl that is included in ISPConfig is only used for the sl encryption of the webserver on port 81.

6. daveb

daveb Member

ok thanks till, still not sure what to do about the other certs though that was already signed by a certificate authority. I can create new keys but then certs would have to still be resigned, correct?

7. till

Yes. If you create a new key, you will have to resign them.