Re-install (second time my ispconfig server) : issue with mailer.

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ledufakademy, Mar 18, 2022.

1. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

when i'm doing test with mail-tester etc ...
    those sites complains that my server sending mail is "web.dufour.cloud"
    yes this is true , this is my ispconfig server !!!!
    BUT my rDNS is mx.dufour.cloud (logical name ... mx !!!) : why mailing is such a very bad trip ... archaic trip .

What can i do now ... reinstall then call server MX.DUFOUR.CLOUD ???
    (which is totally un-logical to name a panel with web server ... mx.dufour.cloud)
    this weird how mailing is very loozyy thing.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Change the hostname.

3. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

hello Th0m,
    ok but what about LE cert generated by autoinstall etc etc ?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The LE cert is generated by ISPConfig and not the auto-installer. To create a new LE cert after changing the hostname, run:

ispconfig_update.sh --force

and choose to create a new SSL cert during the update.

Besides that, it does not matter if your mail server is named web.dufour.cloud or mx.dufour.cloud for email sending. So instead of changing the hostname, you could also just fix the currently wrong reverse DNS record and point it to web.dufour.cloud. The name of the server is not relevant for email, you can use any name as long as it exists in DNS and has the correct matching reverse record.

5. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

it's done.
    thank you for all those advices ;-)
    changing reverse DNS is quite boring because propagation time AND i must send an email in order to someone do that at my place, so ... mx.dufour.cloud is fine for me.
    Reverse DNS zone is not controlled by myself (sadly) but by my ISP, i'm surprised how easily you can doing that Till ?

EDit : hey , server name is not change in ISPconfig UI , not good ? hummm are you sure rename hostname is a good idea ..and preferring a clean re-install is better ? no ? (i'm before production so i can do that easyly now ;-))

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Login to the controlpanel of the data center where I host my systems, click on the server IP in the list, enter the reverse name and press save ;)

That#s perfectly fine. You can leave it as it is or change it in ISPConfig under system > Server services.

7. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

ok cool.(so no re-install at all)
    lol for rDNS !
    i'm self hosting all my servers (8Gb/600Mb link, home contract) , and for our linux (libraisol/ilinux) webhosting ... same deal : DIY (but now hosted in a big businness office) !