RE: Mandriva 2009.1 (Alpha2) & MySQL Install error

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by n9nu, Jan 26, 2009.

1. n9nu

n9nu New Member

Hello

I just bought a subscription to HTF for 3 months and would like to ask a few questions that someone I am sure knows exactly how to answer.

1. I have a certified domain (fsx-planet.info) and have the name servers setup already and I started to follow to "perfect server for Mandriva 2009 64 bit" when I ran into a problem with the MySQL install. All the packages installed ok and the first of the two commands below worked:

"mysqladmin -u root password 1234567" I substituted my own password for "yourrootsqlpassword" and that went ok.

"mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword" This one, however, did not. I entered the same password as before and changed the domain to: fsx-planet.info from "server1.example.com". It gave me the following error:

[root@fsx-planet install]# mysqladmin -h fsx-planet.info -u root password 1234567
    mysqladmin: connect to server at 'fsx-planet.info' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

My hostname is setup as "fsx-planet.info" which has a static IP. My DNS servers are those of my WISP (I own the company) and have those listed in the ifcfg-eth0 config file.

Is there something that I setup wrong on my end of the box with regards to domains, etc?

I must add that I have a Mikrotik RouterOS Linux box acting as a firewall/gateway/nat machine as well. The server I want to run is behind that machine via a gigabit switch with an IP of 192.168.0.2. A gateway of 0.1 is listed as it is the LAN NIC in the router box.

P.S. I am running this as ROOT user
    Tnx

Tim

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer