Real Name error

Discussion in 'General' started by joostvdl, Oct 25, 2005.

1. joostvdl

joostvdl Member

[SOLVED] Real Name error

When I try to create a user I get an error when I give a Real Name:

Field: Real Name Only the following signs are allowed: a-z A-Z 0-9 - _ .

I tried:
    Joost
    Joost van der Locht
    JoostvanderLocht
    Joost vanderlocht
    joost_van_der_Locht.

But all don't work. Only When I don't put a Real name in it, I can create a user.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I've just tried in my ISPConfig 2.1.0 test system and set up a user with the Real Name Joost van der Locht. I didn't have any problems...

3. joostvdl

joostvdl Member

[solved]

After a complete reinstall and using reseller it works now

4. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

I just started having this same problem yesterday. This is a working ISPConfig installation that has been running for weeks and has many email users. As of yesterday, however, whenever I try to create a new email user or even edit an existing one, I get the Field: Real Name Only the following signs are allowed: a-z A-Z 0-9 - _ . error.

The only thing I've done to this installation is change the config settings that deal with the "PHP Handler not entered" error from another thread in these forums. I've since reversed that setting back to its original as it didnt' solve my problem. In any case, I'm sure that isn't related to this problem.

How do I get by this problem? Can I disable the check somewhere? I'm the only one entering user names into this installation so I don't need the check.

Thanks!

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is very unlikely that this is related as the setting is for a complete other PHP configuration and binary.

This problem is most likely not caused by any change made in ISPConfig. Did you update anything on your server or have you changed a locale setting in your linux installation?

6. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

No updates recently. I generally do a dist-upgrade right after a distro install and then I almost never do one again. Too many breakages involved with whole-sale upgrades.

I'm pretty sure I haven't shelled into this machine at all since the install - just been using ISPConfig to manage things. Something is definitely broken, though.

I looked through my Locale stuff. I'm not really sure what it should look like since I've never had a problem with this before. Considering I am using en_US, do these variables look right?

$LANG = en_US
    $LANGUAGE = en_DE:en_US:en_GB:en

Seems odd to have en_DE first in the $LANGUAGE list...?

7. falko

Yes, you should change the order.

8. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Hmmm...didn't help. I ran dpkg-reconfigure locales and only selected en_US (even though I'm Canadian) and I have the same error in ISPConfig.

Can I just disable this check somewhere? I know this problem is somewhere on my system because I have another ISPConfig installation on another box that doesn't have this problem. On this particular box I am the only one creating accounts so I can ensure I know enough not to put any funky characters in usernames..

9. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Bump.

I really need to get rid of this check. I cannot add new users to my system. Can you please tell me where it is?

Thanks!

10. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Ahhh...more info. It seems that I can create a user with no Real Name as the original poster mentioned. When I do that, I can log on to /mailuser as that user and enter a Real Name without a problem. However, when I go back into the admin interface and try to do something with this user, I get the same error again and have to remove the Real Name to continue on.

This is looking less like a problem with my locales and more like a possible bug.

11. falko

Are there any special characters in the name?

12. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

No, just "Jon Watson".

However, this is the box that I just noticed is not running the most current version of ISPConfig. Perhaps I should upgrade and then see what happens?

J

13. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

I just upgraded 2.2.10 and the problem went away. I was actually quite a few versions behind :)