Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by primesoftnz, Aug 7, 2022.

1. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

I am using a multiserver setup where for some domains I am simply using the smtp server as an upstream spam filter checking for spam and viruses and passing on to an exchange server.
    For many years this has worked fine. Recently I have found that to my alias addresses the postfix server is incorrectly identifying that the email mailbox doesn't exist. This doesn't happen for the main mailbox only for alias addresses and only alias addresses on the same domain.
    in email routing I've tried with mx lookup off or on without change to symptoms.
    If I disable the smtp server of ispconfig the mail is received fine. The exchange server having lower priority in DNS setup of mx records.
    I'm using Debian buster and am on the 3.2.8p1 version of ispconfig.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What did you add under relay domains in ISPConfig? Did you add the mailboxes and also the aliases or did you add the whole domain with @domain.tld ?

3. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

The latter under email routing and under relay domains it just has domain.tld without the @
    No mailboxes no catchall address

4. till

Please try adding the domain with @ under relay recipients to see if that works. at least before the many changes introduced in ISPConfig 3.2, it was either [email protected] or @domain.tld under relay recipients.

5. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

Sorry under relay recipients it is @domain.tld

6. till

May you please add , as a test, an additional record there for one of the nonworking aliases ([email protected]) and test if it's working then for this alias?

7. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

Tried to add an email alias and now the changes are not syncing.
    ran server.sh in maintenance mode
    Code:
    /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
    08.08.2022-08:11 - DEBUG [plugins.inc:155] - Calling function 'check_phpini_changes' from plugin 'webserver_plugin' raised by action 'server_plugins_loaded'.
    08.08.2022-08:11 - DEBUG [server:177] - Found 2 changes, starting update process.
    08.08.2022-08:11 - DEBUG [modules.inc:240] - Processed datalog_id 4477
    08.08.2022-08:11 - DEBUG [modules.inc:240] - Processed datalog_id 4478
    08.08.2022-08:11 - DEBUG [server:217] - Remove Lock: /usr/local/ispconfig/server/temp/.ispconfig_lock
    finished server.php.
    **** note I only upgraded to latest version yesterday and have this is the first change I've made

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  8. till

The debug log shows that they are synced. Records in relay recipients get mirrored into the database only, that#s why there is no more output in debug log.

9. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member

Code:
    /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
    08.08.2022-20:43 - WARNING - There is already an instance of server.php running with pid 1679.

This is on the smtp server and I guess this is the one being updated with new email alias.
    I rebooted the smtp server with no success on solving this issue

Attached Files:

10. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

primesoftnz likes this.
  11. primesoftnz

primesoftnz Member