Recommendation for multiple docker on server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by tfboy, Apr 3, 2021.

1. tfboy

tfboy Member

I've been running ISPConfig for many years, have dozens of websites running, and it's all going beautiful.
    However, I'm now looking at running several little apps that are all packaged as docker installs.
    What is the recommended way to go about this?
    I could use my existing VPS (a Linode) or I could spin up a separate instance which I'll then use to run all the docker containers.
    The beauty about ISPConfig is the support for virtual hosts, where you can easily have multiple different domains all working from a single Linux box, and this is something I would like to replicate for docker containers as ISPConfig isn't geared towards managing docker installs (a shame, I wish it did!).
    So what are people's thoughts on this? I'd be happy to run on a dedicated smaller Linode and keep it separate from my main one, but not sure how best to do this. Is it just a case of doing it command line and having something like docker compose with Nginx up front as a reverse proxy which forwards onto the rellevant docker container?
    You can clearly tell I have no real experience of Docker :D but I'm somewhat surprised that there doesn't seem to be an obvious front-end manager for this and everything seems to be CLI-based (not that it's a problem)...

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I personally don't use Docker, but I think it would be best to use a separate instance for it :)

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Me neither. I don't think docker will work with ISPConfig out of box as it is currently not supported.

About using nginx as reverse proxy directly to another sites in ISPConfig web server (not for docker though), if my memory is not wrong, there was unfinished plugin which any interested party may continue to develop or create a new plugin for ISPConfig.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Running docker containers on an ISPConfig server should not cause any issues. I just don't recommend to run ISPConfig inside a Docker container as Docker is not suitable for that.

5. DantePasquale

DantePasquale Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Till, I have to completely redo my websites and I may as well upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 with the latest ISPConfig. I was thinking of using Laraval inside Docker to create the new sites (I only host my own sites). So, that shouldn't be too difficult now? Any examples of how to set things up properly? Thanks!