Recommendation re HA / Load Balancing Solution

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by chillifire, May 9, 2011.

1. chillifire

chillifire New Member

I see there are a number of HA solutions outlined in the HowTo Guides for Lenny, using various combinations of HAProxy, Perlbal, Pound, Heartbeat and Keepalive.

I wondered whether Falko and others who have installed and tested various combinations could make some recommendations regarding any particular solution. I assume they all work in principle, but might have different restrictions, community support, and advantages one should be aware of when making a choice.

My server are Ubuntu latest LTR, running mainly a PHP website, Radius Server, MYSQL server and utility apps. Obviously I need session awareness and MYSQL clustering in the background to support such a setup.

@ All
    Please let me know views and share your experience. Given the many options I am sure others might be interested in your advice as well.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I have used HAProxy + heartbeat in production and must say it works very good! :) At first I wanted to use HAProxy + keepalived, but my keepaliveds couldn't talk to each other - I guess it's some constraint in the network of our hoster, that's why I switched to heartbeat.

Therefore it's good to have multiple possible solutions - in case you encounter problems with one in your environment, you can use another one.

3. eyeoncomputers

eyeoncomputers New Member

You may be able to use the centos clustering suite. It has all that stuff built in i believe. You just add nodes to the cluster and distribute accordingly.